The lives of some more interesting de Dernefords
Reimund de Derneford Westmoreland
Amice de Derenford Suffolk
John de Derenford Suffolk
Nicholas de Derenford Probably Wiltshire and maybe the son of Roger son of Henry
Richard de Derenford Bristol.
Reimund de Derneford Sheriff of Westmorland
Sandford of Sandford 1174 - 1404
The northern part of the county of Westmorland did not form part of the England which passed to William of Normandy at the battle of Hastings. It was not till the reign of his son, William Rufus, that it passed from the Kingdom of Scotland to that of England. In 1092, however, Rufus first entered into an arrangement with the Scottish King, Alexander, whereby Cumberland and Westmorland became part of the former's dominions, and he consolidated his new possessions by building the castle of Carlisle.
Despite this, Alexander's successors still claimed the two counties as part of their kingdom, till in 1157 Henry II forced the young Scottish King, Malcolm (Canmore) to give up all claim to them, and the boundary between England and Scotland was fixed as it is today; though for some time after the Scottish kings kept reviving their old claim.
Finally at a conference held at York in 1237, Alexander III, King of Scotland, gave up all claim to the counties of Cumberland, Westmorland and Northumberland in exchange for lands of annual value of £200 to be held of the King of England by the annual render of a falcon to the Constable of Carlisle Castle. (a) However, in the quarrels between Edward II and King John Baliol all these lands were seized and reverted to the Crown. The lands included the Honour of Penrith, which in consequence suffered heavily at the hands of the Scots for several generations as a result of the King of Scotland's claim to that manor.
Afterwards the said Robert de Veteriponte regranted the same by the same boundaries to Robert de Sandford, son of the said William de Sandford for £20 pounds paid to him "in his necessity", the witnesses being Reimund de Derneford, Sheriff of Westmorland, Thomas de Helebeck, William Morvil, Thomas Bowet, Robert de Askeby, William de Warthecopp, Matthew de Rosgill, Geoffrey de Watsby, Adam de Musegrave, William Chartney, and others. (a)
Amice de Derneford
1288. MEMBRANE 2.*
Nov. 7. To Master Henry de Bray, escheator this side Trent. Order to cause
Westminster. 10/. yearly of land from the custody of the land that belonged to John de
Auvelers, tenant in chief, in Brome, co. Suffolk, to be assigned to Amice de
Derneford, formerly the nurse of Henry, the king's deceased son , to have
for her maintenance until the heir of the said John come of age, as John de
Londonia, when he had the office of the escheatry this side Trent, com-
mitted to Amice by the king's order the hamlet of La Musardere, which
belonged to Ralph Musard, deceased, tenant in chief, to have for her main-
tenance as of the value of 101. yearly, wherewith the king ordered her to be
provided by the said escheator from Ealph's lands, and the king afterwards
granted to her that she should have and hold the hamlet for her main-
tenance for the aforesaid 101. yearly of land until Ralph's heir came of age,
in the same way as the king had the hamlet in his hands on the day when
the escheator delivered it to her, saving to the king the wardships, reliefs,
escheats, dowers, knights' fees, advowsons of churches, etc., and the king
also granted to Amice, at the instance of Queen Eleanor, his mother, that
when Ealph's heirs came of age and obtained seisin of the hamlet with the
other lands pertaining to them, the king and his heirs should provide her
with lOZ. yearly of land in custodies pertaining to him for her life, as
John de London, king's clerk, escheator this side Trent, to Geoffrey de Picheford, of the marriage of Richard.
Edward and Eleanor had at least fourteen children, perhaps as many as sixteen. Of these, five daughters survived into adulthood, but only one boy outlived Edward: the future King Edward II. Edward I was reportedly concerned with his son's failure to live up to the expectations of an heir to the crown, and at one point decided to exile the prince's favourite Piers Gaveston.
By Margaret, Edward had two sons, both of whom lived into adulthood, and a daughter who died as a child. The Hailes Abbey chronicle indicates that John Botetourt may have been Edward's illegitimate son; however, the claim is unsubstantiated.
Henry of England (13 July 1267 – 14 October 1274 in Merton, Surrey) was the fifth child and second son of Edward I of England by his first wife, Eleanor of Castile.
Henry was born in Windsor Castle during the reign of his paternal grandfather, Henry III of England. On 3 August 1271, Henry’s older brother John died in the custody of their paternal granduncle Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall.
His death left Henry the eldest surviving child of Edward and second-in-line to the throne of England. Henry III died on 16 November 1272. Edward became King of England and Henry his heir apparent. I
n 1273, Henry was betrothed to Joan I of Navarre.
When Henry lay dying at Guildford in 1274, neither of his parents made the short journey from London to see him. He was tended by his grandmother, Eleanor of Provence, who had raised him during the four years his parents were on Crusade.
The queen dowager was thus at that moment more familiar to him than his parents, and the better able to comfort him in his illness. Since Henry was always sickly, the gravity of his illness was perhaps not realised until it was too late for his parents to reach him. He died of natural causes and was buried at Westminster Abbey.
|Children by Eleanor of Castile|
|Daughter||May 1255||29 May 1255||Stillborn or died shortly after birth|
|Katherine||before 17 June 1264||5 September 1264||Buried at Westminster Abbey.|
|Joanna||Summer or January 1265||before 7 September 1265||Buried at Westminster Abbey.|
|John||13 July 1266||3 August 1271||Died at Wallingford, while in the custody of his granduncle, Richard, Earl of Cornwall. Buried at Westminster Abbey.|
|Henry||6 May 1268||14 October 1274||Buried at Westminster Abbey.|
|Eleanor||c. 18 June 1269||19 Aug 1298||Married, in 1293, Henry III, Count of Bar, by whom she had two children. Buried at Westminster Abbey.|
|Juliana||after May 1271||5 September 1271||Born, and died, while Edward and Eleanor were in Acre.|
|Joan||1272||23 Apr 1307||Married (1) in 1290 Gilbert de Clare, Earl of Hertford, who died in 1295, and (2) in 1297 Ralph de Monthermer. She had four children by Clare, and three or four by Monthermer.|
|Alphonso||24 November 1273||19 August 1284||Buried at Westminster Abbey.|
15 Mar 1275
11 Mar 1333
|Married John II of Brabant in 1290, with whom she had one son.|
|Berengaria||1 May 1276||between 7 June 1277 and 1278||Buried at Westminster Abbey.|
|Daughter||December 1277||January 1278||Buried at Westminster Abbey.|
|Mary||11/12 Mar 1279||29 May 1332||A Benedictine nun in Amesbury, Wiltshire, where she was probably buried.|
|Son||1280/81||1280/81||Little evidence exists for this child.|
|Elizabeth||c. 7 Aug 1282||5 May 1316||She married (1) in 1297 John I, Count of Holland, (2) in 1302 Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford. The first marriage was childless; by Bohun Elizabeth had ten children.|
|Edward||25 Apr 1284||21 Sep 1327||Succeeded his father as king of England. In 1308 he married Isabella of France, with whom he had four children.|
. and if etc. and if she died after etc. and in respect whereof Robert of Durnford ...
Kessingland is a large village in the Waveney District of the English county of Suffolk. It is located around 4 miles (6 km) south of Lowestoft. It is of interest to archaeologists as Palaeolithic and Neolithic implements have been found here;the remains of an ancient forest lie buried on the seabed.
There has been a settlement here since Palaeolithic times. Between the Hundred River and Latmer Dam was once a large estuary which was used by the Vikings and Romans.The sea provided the village with its main livelihood, and at one time the village paid a rent of 22,000 herrings to their Lords, which then made it more important than nearby Lowestoft.
The Domesday Book entry reads 'Kessingalanda / gelanda: King's land, kept by Roger Bigot; Earl Hugh and Hugh FitzNorman from him; Hugh de Montfort Mill (100 herrings). 43 pigs.' Roger Bigod or Bigot was a Norman Knight who came to England in the Norman Conquest.
Nicholas de Derneford
Nicholas was obviously a clever man. He was one of the youngest to attend Cambridge.
In those days, students at such Universities, were usually connected to the Clergy.
It may be his father was Roger who was at Salisbury Cathedral.
One of the first scholars at Cambridge
(One of the most beautiful towns we visited this is King's College. King's College Chapel is a splendid example of late Gothic (Perpendicular) architecture. It was started in 1446 by Henry VI (1421-71) and took over a century to build
In 1327 he was also put in charge of the castles at Aberystwyth, Cardigan, and Carmarthen.
|Simply stunning the "Choir"|
These are incredible buildings. Beaumaris Castle, is in such a unique location.
We had no idea when we were at Conway Castle that an ancestor might have been responsible for the works, inside there is not much left.
Nor when we were at Caernarfon, none of the photos fitted into my lens, so back to wikipedia
One thing that amazed us was the fact that the Kings built so many castles, in such high places, and with such outlooks. All had to do with invasions, probably didn't want a repeat of 1066.
The urgent improvement of the unfinished defences at this time was part of a programme for bringing the castle into full commission in a period when there was fear of the Scots making common cause with the Welsh and effecting a landing on the north Wales coast. In April 1306, the constable went on a forty-day visit to London to buy armour and other supplies for the castle garrison, his purchases including a breviary for use in the chapel and twentytwo baldrics, or belts, covered with red leather. In June, a mason named William de Kyrkebi was paid 3s. 9d. for shaping 180 round stones at the Penmon quarry 'for the prince's engines in the castle'; in August he received 3s. 4d. for another 160 round stones 'for the trebuchets in the castle'.
James of St George was succeeded at Beaumaris by Master Nicholas de Derneford, who had come to join Master James after previously working at St Augustine's Abbey, Bristol, theAbbey of Burton in Staffordshire and Repton Priory in Derbyshire.
lt is perhaps to Derneford's hand that we should ascribe the unusual form of the window heads on the courtyard face of the north gatehouse . From 1323 his responsibilities at Beaumaris were embraced within those of the wider office ofmaster of the king's works in north Wales, which he continued to exercise until 1331, by which date it is to be inferred that the Beaumaris works — at least as a continuous Operation were finally halted.
From the Archives, his costs for building were not paid!
Nicholas de Derneford, master mason of the king's works of the castle of Beaumaris.
de Derneford, Nicholas
master mason of the king's works
Nature of request:
Derneford request payment of arrears of his wages in the office of keeper of the works at Beaumaris, and payment at the original rate promised him of 12d. a day. He was brought to Beaumaris by Master James and ought to have had his pension from [the abbeys of] St Augustine's, Bristol, Burton upon Trent, and the priory of Repton, from which time he has loyally served the king, but his wages are in arrears and have been reduced.
Nature of endorsement:
Let him have letters under the king's great seal that he may have from now 12d. a day at the king's will and as long as he shall comport himself well in the aforesaid office.
Beaumaris, [Anglesey, Wales]; Burton upon Trent, [Staffordshire]; Repton, [Derbyshire]; Bristol.
Dated by Rees, Petitions Relating to Wales, pp. 165-6, as 1316, but this is the date of Derneford's first appointment to keep the works at Beaumaris (CPR 1313-17, p. 457) and since the petition states that wages of some years are in arrears, it is clear that the petition must date from some time after this; Derneford continued in the office for the rest of Edward II's reign, and it is assumed here that the petition was made before Edward III's accession.
May 12. 1327 Confirmation in favour of Nicholas de Derneford, master of the works of
Nottingham, the king’s castles of Beaumaris, Kaemarvan, Coneweye, Crukyn and
Herdelawe, of letters patent dated 10 November, 17 Edwanl II., granting
to him, during good behaviour and so long as he be master, 12d. a day,
payable by the king’s chamberlain at Kaernarvan. By K.
Chester Cathedral is a Church of England cathedral and the mother church of the Diocese of Chester, It is located in the city of Chester, Cheshire, England. The cathedral (formerly the abbey church of a Benedictine monastery, dedicated to Saint Werburgh) is dedicated to Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary. Since 1541 it has been the seat of the Bishop of Chester.
The cathedral is a Grade I listed building, and part of a heritage site that also includes the former monastic buildings to the north, which are also listed Grade I. The cathedral, typical of English cathedrals in having been modified many times, dates from between 1093 and the early 16th century, although the site itself may have been used for Christian worship since Roman times. All the major styles of English medieval architecture, from Norman to Perpendicular, are represented in the present building.
The cathedral and former monastic buildings were extensively restored during the 19th century (amidst some controversy), and a free-standing bell-tower was added in the 20th century. The buildings are a major tourist attraction in Chester. In addition to holding services for Christian worship, the cathedral is used as a venue for concerts and exhibitions.
The nave of six bays, and the large, aisled south transept were begun in about 1323, probably to the design of Nicholas de Derneford.
There are a number of windows containing fine Flowing Decorated tracery of this period. The work ceased in 1375, in which year there was a severe outbreak of plague in England. The building of the nave was recommenced in 1485, more than 150 years after it was begun.
The architect was probably William Rediche.
Remarkably, for an English medieval architect, he maintained the original form, changing only the details. The nave was roofed with a stellar vault rather like that of the Lady Chapel at Ely and the choir at York Minster, both of which date from the 1370s. Like that at York, the vault is of wood,
Nicholas must have been an extraordinary person, and he was young when he undertook these remarkable building works.
Richard de Derneford
Elias de Derham's Leadenhall in Salisbury Close, 1226—1215 433 ...... reciting that Richard de Derneford had made fine with the king in 20 marks to ...... Bristol jCoates, John, Wilton School, V\ llton, Salisbury Cole, Clem, Calne,
1337 Richard cle Derneford and William de Portesmuthe are described as per vicarios ejusdem
2. In the construction of laws, wills and other instruments, when certain things are enumerated, and then a phrase is used which might be construed to include other things, it is generally confined to things ejusdem generas; as, where an act (9 Ann. C. 20) provided that a writ of quo warranto might issue against persons who should usurp "the offices of mayors, bailiffs, port reeves, and other offices, within the cities, towns, corporate boroughs, and places, within Great Britain," &c.; it was held that "other offices" meant offices ejusdem generis; and that the word "places" signified places of the same kind; that is, that the offices must be corporate offices, and the places must be corporate
.— RICHARD DERNEFORD. 1388. Jan. 26th. To be buried in the cemetery of holy Cross Temple of Bristol. Legacies to the vicar and each chaplain celebrating in that church, and the two clerks. To wife Alice and her unborn infant, a white cloth not yet completely finished. To servant Edward an article of clothing — vtuC sloppa' — of Irish cloth. Legacies to servant Philip, to Robert Make- atese, to sons John and Stephen, and daughter Joan, who is left to the keeping of Stephen Plastrer. One "chayne"of cloth, and one " doseyn " of russet to be sold for funeral expenses and payment of debts. Residue to wife Alice ; she, and Stephen Plastrer, and Robert Makeatese, executors. Proved in the parish church of Redcliff, Feb. 23rd, 138S ; at the Guild-hall on Wednesday in the second week of Lent, 12 Richard ii.
Proved in the parish church of holy Cross Temple of Bristol, June 30th, 1384;
...... RICHARD DERNEFORD. 1388. Jan. 26th. To be buried in the cemetery of holy ...
Adam de Greinvill, 4 knights, summoned to elected on oath 12 of the
lawful [men] from the neighbourhood of Tytecumbe [Tidcombe,
Wiltshire], to make a recognition of the grand assize between William
de Bello Campo of Elmeleye, plaintiff, and Henry Hose, tenant, for the
manor of Titecumbe [i.e., Tidcombe, Wiltshire] with appurtenances,
excepting 4 virgates of land in the same vill, whereof Henry, who is
the tenant, put himself on the king's grand assize and claimed that
there be a recognition whether he has the greater right of holding
that manor, excepting the 4 virgates of land, from the aforesaid
William, or whether William should hold it in demesne, come and have
elected these, namely Thomas of Thurney, Richard Pipard, William of
Calne, Thomas le Tabler, Jordan la Warre, Adam de la Mare, John of
Chereburgh', Henry of Hertham, Henry of Wadon', Henry Crok, John de
Columbar', Reynold of Lokinton', John de la Stane, Richard de Anesy,
Samson of la Boxe, Nicholas of Haversham, Richard of Derneford.
Later they [the parties] are agreed. Henry gives 1 mark for license to
agree by surety of William. Let them have a chirograph."
Tidcombe parish, (fn. 52) c. 15 km. both south-east of Marlborough and north-west of Andover (Hants), comprised Tidcombe, 895 a., and Fosbury, 1,444 a., which were detached from each other; 27 a. of the land of Oxenwood, otherwise in Shalbourne parish, had been added to Tidcombe parish by 1786. Tidcombe parish church stood at Tidcombe and in the 19th century a church was built at Fosbury. In 1894 Wiltshire county council gave the parish the name Tidcombe and Fosbury, and Hippenscombe, 911 a., a civil parish, formerly extra-parochial, and linking Tidcombe's and Fosbury's land, was then added to it.
Richard of Durnford, with the sheriff.
Date: 23 Feb 1388
Married Gloucestershire, England
West Lothian, and Midlothian; Gloucestershire: Edinburgh; Bristol- Commissariot Record of Edinburgh, Register of Testaments, 1514-1600; Bristol Wills, 1572-1792
Calendar of Wills Contained in the Great Orphan Books Now Preserved in the Council House at Bristol.
Register of Testaments. First Section--1514-1600. Edited by Francis J. Grant, W.S., Carrick Pursuivant of Arms.
Derneford, Richard, Temple. 23 Feb 1388. 1.34. 24
· It is called Temple church because it was built on the site of the oval church of the Knights Templar, suppressed in 1312. Either just before or just after this suppression the church was rebuilt on a rectangular plan and served as a parish church. The site has been excavated and the oval outline of the former Templars' church is laid out in the turf.
· It was also called Holy Cross Church, and included the Guild Chapel of the Bristol Weavers. Cloth weaving was the staple industry of Bristol in the late Middle Ages, and its centre was in Temple parish.
· The tower is 114 feet (35 m) high and was built in two phases. The lower stages were built in 1390 but work was stopped when the tower started to lean to the west. By 1460 the city was satisfied that the tower was stable, and the upper stages including a belfry, were added. The lean is popularly attributed to the foundations of the tower being built on top of wool-sacks but is most likely due to the soft alluvial clay underneath being compressed