Just where they fit into the picture of the Cornwall Derenfords, and the Wiltshire Derenfords is not known, but possibly by including some of the information, others in our family may find a missing link.
The names Richard, William appear frequently.
|The River Avon Durnford is a very picturesque area with a famous singer chosing to call it home!|
There have been some very clever people, and within the realm of the Knights, the ancestors were also Constables and sheriffs, they were also clergy.
An enoffment by Simon son of Roger le Schepeheorde of Styvynton to Roger de la ..... John the deacon, Master Thomas of Salisbury, William de Haselden, Peter Giffard, ... de Wika, Martin de Norhumberl[and], Roger son of Henry de Derneford. ..... relating, apparently, to indulgences granted for building of Exeter cathedral
Witnesses:—Hugh de Temple, canon of Salisbury, Stephen, parson of the church of Tysseb[eri], Thomas de Sutton, Thomas de Dunton, chaplains, John the deacon, Master Thomas of Salisbury, William de Haselden, Peter Giffard, Andrew Baker (pistore), Robert Gale, Robert de Wika, Martin de Norhumberl[and], Roger son of Henry de Derneford.
Sometime the lineage can be determined by these sorts of records. It would appear that Roger de Derneford is a son of William de Derneford, who much have lived prior to 1255.
There is also a son of Roger de Derneford called Philip.
Philip son of Roger leases land in Upton St Leonard's to Gloucester Abbey, 1244
Phillip also has a son called William
William son of Phillip de Derneford' gives half a mark for an assize
And there is a Walter de Derneford
There are records for Thomas de Derneford and a son John de Derneford
Court rolls 1245 John son of Thomas de Derneford in marriage to Alma
William de Derneford, d. 1316 coat of arms
Lived in Deerhurt in Gloucestershire.
Those franchises were described as half of the hundred of Deerhurst in the mid-12th century.
In 1248 Roger de Derneford acknowledged that he held a quarter of the hundred from the abbot, and granted that the abbot could hold view of frankpledge in his land and that Roger and his men would make suit to the two law-day hundreds.
- C - Records created, acquired, and inherited by Chancery, and also of the Wardrobe, Royal Household, Exchequer and various commissions
- Records of the Chancery as central secretariat
- C 143 - Chancery: Inquisitions Ad Quod Damnum, Henry III to Richard III
- C 143/29 - Inquisitions taken as a result of applications to the Crown for licences to alienate land.
- C 143/29/9 - William de Derneford to grant the manor of Deerhurst (Glouc.) &c. to the abbot and...
The Preaching Cross A 14th century preaching cross stands upon a three-step plinth on the village green. Though the Ashleworth example is called a 'cross', it is really more of a simple column with a four sided top which has been carved with religious scenes. The cross was lost for many years until it was found hidden in a chimney in one of the cottages that line the green. The scenes carved upon the cross are thought to represent Mary and John, a Virgin and Child, St Augustine, and Robert Fitzharding, founder of Bristol Abbey.
In 1086 Ashleworth was one of 21 ‘berewicks’, or outlying estates, belonging to the extensive royal manor of Berkeley, which had belonged to the crown before the conquest.2 Although not recorded by name before 1086, the earlier history of the Ashleworth estate may be inferred from its membership of the ‘Hernesse’ or jurisdiction of Berkeley
This represented the landholding accumulated by a pre-conquest monastic community founded in Berkeley in the 8th century and dissolved before 1053. Ashleworth, however, lies some 30 km north-east of the estate centre and far removed from its other members.
Like other early monastic possessions in the area of the later Corse forest, therefore, it was probably granted to Berkeley by a Mercian king to provide the house with a valuable, if distant, woodland resource. After Berkeley abbey or minster was dissolved by Earl Godwin, father of Harold II,
the Hernesse, including Ashleworth, reverted to the crown.
Before 1066 Ashleworth lay within a large tract of woodland and woodpasture which in the Norman period became the forest and later chase of Corse, so that its agriculture may have been less advanced than that of communities east of the Severn. Place-name evidence suggests that strips of arable land may have been cultivated near Berrow Farm before the conquest, and an area described as ‘old land’ adjacent to a meadow before 1200 may also denote early cultivation.
Ashleworth was assessed in 1066 and 1086 at 3 hides, without differentiation of land or classes of tenant. Farmland was being won from the forest by assarting before 1191, including at Ashmore. Further assarts had been made between 1217 and 1230, and 30 a. at Foscombe were assarted before 1243. Restrictions were placed by the owners of Corse Chase, the earls of Gloucester, on ditching and
fencing, and on further encroachment by assarts or purprestures
Personal animosity led to the murder before 1221 of Pollard the forester by the Ashleworth reeve,
In 1240–1 St Augustine’s abbey asserted its rights of common in Foscombe assart over other claimants, and probably at this time agreed with the lord of Corse and Deerhurst, Roger of Derneford, that their manors would not intercommon, and that they would not hinder each other from further assarting, ditching and inclosing their own land. By 1269 the abbey had made 40 a. of pasture in Foscombe several.
Corse Chase, which was closely connected with Malvern Chase, belonged to the Earls of Gloucester in the 12th century, and was presumably part of the great manor of Tewkesbury, with which it descended until the 16th century.
By the early 14th century the chase was attached administratively to the earls' manor of Stoke Orchard, a sub-manor of Tewkesbury. It seems likely that the earls had no land in the area of Corse Chase, but only the right of hunting the game there and the associated right of preserving the woodland.
That may underlie the statement in 1350 that there was no free chase of Corse, and that the earls had Corse Chase by usurpation and by encroachment of beasts from Malvern Chase. (fn. 85) If Corse Chase was held by usurpation, the usurpation was one of long standing, for before 1179 William, Earl of Gloucester, confirmed to the monks of Gloucester all their old and new assarts in Maisemore and Hartpury. (fn. 86) In 1199 land below Corse Wood was said to be in the forest of Malvern. (fn. 87) The earls' chase was referred to as the forest of Corse in 1262, (fn. 88) and in 1263 the forest of Corse was valued at little less than Malvern Forest. (fn. 89)
In addition, the chase extended into Worcestershire: on the boundary of Eldersfield and Chaceley there remains an uninclosed piece of Corse Lawn, the common which represented the unassarted area of the chase, and some of the freeholders of Staunton and Eldersfield successfully claimed right of common in Corse Lawn within the parish of Corse. In Staunton, the right was restricted to those with land east of the Glynch brook, suggesting that the brook had at one time been the western boundary of the chase.
Reynold the forester in 1293 may have been the same as Reynold the woodward in 1306. In 1276 the Earl of Gloucester had three foresters in Corse, of whom it was complained that they arrested men in Gloucestershire and imprisoned them in Worcestershire without trial, and that they had caused a man to be beheaded for stealing sheep without trial.
It was also alleged that the earl's steward exacted a fine in the townships adjoining Corse Wood for the lawing of dogs, not only from those with dogs but also from those who had none, and that the foresters appropriated warren outside the cover of the wood in places where the earl had no fee or tenement.
In 1321, and in 1350 when there was a head forester and three others, the foresters were paid out of the issues of Tewkesbury manor; in 1378 the four foresters were paid out of the issues of Stoke Orchard manor. The offices of two of the underforesters may have been represented by those of keeper of the middle bailiwick and forester of Charlewood, both said to be within the chase of Corse Lawn and recorded in 1478.
In 1330 John of Longdon was appointed chief rider of the chase.
Staunton is a village in the Forest of Dean District in Gloucestershire, England. It lies close to the village of Corse. Staunton is eight miles north of the city of Gloucester.To the south-west of Staunton is the River Leadon.
Staunton used to lie in the county of Worcestershire. Originally Staunton was included in the "forest of Corse", the woodland in 1086 being a league long and half a league in breadth.
In 1347 Robert de Staunton, then lord of the manor, obtained a grant of a Wednesday market at Staunton and a fair for four days at the feast of St James, but by the 17th century the earlier prosperity of Staunton had disappeared. At the end of the 18th century cider and perry were produced in large quantities at Staunton, but because the soil produced good crops of wheat, beans and barley, the cidermaking industry died out.
The church of Saint James was originally a 12th-century church with short rectangular chancel and aisleless nave, the chancel afterwards being rebuilt and the tower and aisle added in later years.
The nave windows are all of 14th-century type, apparently copies or restorations of work of that period, and the tower and spire are of late 14th-century date with a later west window. The church was heavily restored in 1860, when the chancel was rebuilt and the vestry added.
Staunton Court stands immediately to the east of the church and is a picturesque brick and timber building with hipped red-tiled roofs, dating probably from the latter half of the 16th century.
Manors and Other Estates.
By 1289 there was apparently a graveyard attached to the chapel, and repairs to the roof were carried out in 1291-3. No record of it has been discovered after the acquisition of the manor by Tintern Abbey in 1302. The medieval chapel at Woolaston Grange has been mentioned above.
1256 This record relates to an estate which Sir Roger had an interest
|Church of St Chad rebuilt|
Collation to Roger de Dernford - Marshall of Prebend on Lichfield Church (Church has been remodeled)
The said Robert held the manor of Botinton of triple lordship, to wit, 1 part of the fee of the Earl of Gloucester, and that part answers to the manor of Kenemerton for the royal service as it shall happen, for the 4th part of a knight's fee; another part of the fee of the Abbot of Westminster, and that part pays to Sir Roger de Derneford, who is the mesne, 28s. 4d.; and 1 part of the fee of the Prior of Derherst, and that part pays to the said Prior 7s. 2d. The said manor is worth per annum £40.
Burialls 1604. (Burial)
Gloucestershire: - Abstracts and Inquisitiones Post Mortem,1236-1300
E. Abbot of Persor to H. le Rus. Know ye that I, by the oath of John de Forda, Reginald de Heydon, Nicholas Quiet, Roger de Hezerl, William de Eilworth, and Adam Carpeniar\ have diligently made inquisition as to the land which was of R. de Mucegros in co. Glouc,
"c, who say that The said Robert held the moiety of the manor of Kenemerton of the gift of the King as of the escheat of the Normans; and this land is of the fee of the Earl of Gloucester, and answers to him, together with the other lands which belong thereto for the royal service, for 1 knight's fee, and the said land is worth per annum, clear, "18.
The said Robert held the manor of Botinton of triple lordship, to wit, 1 part of the fee of the Earl of Gloucester, and that part Gloutestershir'e answers to the manor of Kenemerton for the royal service as it shall happen, for the 4th part of a knight's fee; another part of the fee of the Abbot of Westminster, and that part pays to Sir Roger de Derneford, who is the mesne, 28j. 4*/.; and 1 part of the fee of the Prior of Derherst, and that part pays to the said Prior 7-r. 2d. The said manor is worth per annum "40.
The said Robert held 1 carucate of land at Hezerl of the fee of the Earl Marshall for the 3rd part of 1 knight's fee, and that land is worth per annum 40^.; also 6 bovates of land at Norteclive of the fee of the Prior of Derherst, and that land pays per annum to the said Prior 4*., and is worth per annum 2 marks; also 1 carucate of land at Killicote, in the forest of Dene, of the fee of Sir Ernald de Bosco, and that land answers to the manor of Tanton for the royal service when it shall happen, for the 5th part of 1 knight's fee, and is worth per annum 2 marks.
John de Mucegros is the next heir of the said Robert, and he was aged 21 years on the Feast.of St. Laurence last past, to wit, in the 37th year of King Henry III.
Chan. Inq. p.m., 38 Hen. Ill, No. 39. golm Ire Hjmartreslep*
Writ dated at Newcastle-on-Tyne 25th September, 39 Hen. Ill .
16 Aug. 1292 touching the persons who entered the park of John son of Reginald at
Bardeslee, co. G. with dogs
Commission of oyer and terminer to John de Cantebrigge, John de Pulteneye and Gregory
atte Shire, on complaint by Thomas le Bonde that Alexander de Eurgoyne, Walter atte Got,
John de Wyrhale, Robert de Ansty Thomas Hubert, John Tytegrove, Thomas le Shephird,
William de Lambourne, parson of the church of Eeauchaump Rothyng, Henry Wilyot Thomas Moryz, John de Derneford and others broke his gates and houses at Otenham, carried
away his goods and assaulted his men and servants.
This could be Tottenham
Lord of the Manor of Tottenham. ... of the Court Rolls of ... William Denys, Walter de Derneford, Geoffrey Edes, John Edes, Walter Edes ... William Daissh, William Daubeny, Giles Daubeny, Christine Denys, John Denys, Richard Denys, William Denys, Walter de Derneford, Edward II (1318) through Richard II (1377)
Tottenham is an area in the London Borough of Haringey, in north London, England. It is situated 8.2 miles (13.2 km) north-north-east of Charing Cross.
Tottenham is believed to have been named after Tota, a farmer, whose hamlet was mentioned in the Domesday Book; hence Tota's hamlet became Tottenham. It was recorded in the Domesday Book as Toteham. There has been a settlement at Tottenham for over a thousand years. It grew up along the old Roman road, Ermine Street (some of which is part of the present A10 road), and between High Cross and Tottenham Hale, the present Monument Way.
When the Domesday Book was compiled in 1086, about 70 families lived within the area of the manor, mostly labourers working for the Lord of the Manor. A humorous poem entitled the Tournament of Tottenham, written around 1400, describes a mock-battle between peasants vying for the reeve's daughter.
In 1086, ten years after Waltheof's execution, Tottenham was held by his widow Countess Judith, daughter of William the Conqueror's sister Adelize. Presumably it passed with Huntingdon through Maud, daughter of Waltheof and Judith, to her successive husbands Simon de St. Liz (d. c. 1111) and David of Scotland, each of whom received the earldom. David, who succeeded in 1124 as King David I, resigned Huntingdon in 1136 to his son Henry (d. 1152), who made a grant of lands in Tottenham. Huntingdon had passed to Simon de St. Liz (II), born of Maud's first marriage and a supporter of King Stephen, by 1146, but in 1157 it was restored to Henry's son, King Malcolm IV (d. 1165).
Further grants in Tottenham were made by Malcolm and by his brother and successor William the Lion, who forfeited his English honors in 1174, when Huntingdon was vested in Simon de St. Liz (II)'s son and namesake. On the death of Simon de St. Liz (III) in 1184 the earldom was restored to William, who resigned it to his brother David in the following year. David, deprived c. 1215 but restored in 1218, was succeeded in 1219 by his son John the Scot, whereupon the manor of TOTTENHAM, with that of Kempston (Beds.), was assigned to his widow Maud, daughter of Hugh (II), earl of Chester (d. 1181). John was created earl of Chester in 1232 and died without issue in 1237, when the two manors were granted to his widow Helen, as the customary dower of a countess of Huntingdon. In 1238 they were granted again to Helen and to her second husband, Robert de Quincy.
In 1254 Tottenham was therefore divided into three, (fn. 91) probably by sharing out the tenants rather than dividing the land. (fn. 92) The three manors, all held in chief, thereafter descended separately until they were reunited by John Gedney in the early 15th century.
When John died childless in 1334, his Tottenham lands were bestowed for life on Sir William Daubeney, who likewise secured a grant for his heirs three years later. An exchange of Daubeney's share of Tottenham for the earl of Pembroke's share of Kempston, licensed in 1342, apparently was not put into effect, since Balliols was entailed by Daubeney in 1344.
When Sir William died in 1360 the manor passed to his son Giles Daubeney, who in 1382 was licensed to convey it to the London draper John of Northampton, otherwise Comberton.
Two years later, after John of Northampton's forfeiture, it was granted for life to John Beauchamp of Holt, later Lord Beauchamp of Kidderminster, on whose own forfeiture in 1388 it reverted to the Crown. A grant to William Brightbrook and others in 1389 was cancelled later in the same year because of the claims of John of Northampton, who had regained it by 1392 and who was succeeded by his son James in 1397.
On James's death in 1409 it passed to William Comberton, son of John Comberton and grandson of William, who had been John of Northampton's elder brother, and in 1412 it was held during William's minority by Thomas Burton, a London grocer.
In 1421 Daubeneys was inherited by William's brother Richard Comberton and by 1426 it had been conveyed to Richard Chippenham and others, who still held it in 1433. Thereafter it was reunited with the other subdivisions of the manor which had been acquired by John Gedney, a London draper, who died seised of them in 1449.
TenancyIn England in the Middle Ages, land was held of the English monarch or ruler by a powerful local supporter, who gave protection in return. The people who had sworn homage to the lord were known as vassals. Vassals were nobles who served loyalty for the king, in return for being given the use of land. After the Norman conquest of England, however, all the land of England was owned by the monarch who then granted the use of it by means of a transaction known as enfeoffment, to earls, barons, and others, in return for military service. The person who held feudal land directly from the king was known as a tenant-in-chief (see also Land tenure).
Military service was based upon units of ten knights (see Knight-service). An important tenant-in-chief might be expected to provide all ten knights, and lesser tenants-in-chief, half of one. Some tenants-in-chief 'sub-infeuded', that is, granted, some land to a sub-tenant. Further sub-infeudation could occur down to the level of a lord of a single manor, which in itself might represent only a fraction of a knight's fee.
A mesne lord was the level of lord in the middle holding several manors, between the lords of a manor and the superior lord. The sub-tenant might have to provide knight service, or finance just a portion of it, or pay something purely nominal. Any further sub-infeudation was prohibited by the Statute of Quia Emptores in 1290. Knight service was abolished by the Tenures Abolition Act 1660.
Manors were defined as an area of land and became closely associated to the advowson of the church and often by default the advowson was appended to the rights of the Manor, sometimes separated into moieties.
Many lords of the manor were known as squires, at a time when land ownership was the basis of power. While some inhabitants were serfs who were bound to the land, others were freeholders, known as 'franklins', who were free from feudal service. Periodically all the tenants met at a 'manorial court', with the lord of the manor (or squire), or a steward, as chairman.
These courts, known as courts baron, dealt with the tenants' rights and duties, changes of occupancy, and disputes between tenants. Some manorial courts also had the status of a court leet, and so they elected constables and other officials and were effectively Magistrates Courts for minor offences
Many of the Dernefords were mesne lords.
The village lay within the Anglo-Saxon administrative division of Wallington hundred.
Carshalton appears in Domesday Book as Aultone. It was held by Goisfrid (Geoffrey) de Mandeville. Its domesday assets were: 3½ hides; 1 church, 10 ploughs, 1 mill worth £1 15s 0d, 22 acres (89,000 m2) of meadow, woodland worth 2 hogs. It rendered £15 10s 0d.
Carshalton was known for its springs; these may have given the place its name Cars - Aul - ton. Aul means well or spring. A ton is a farm which was in some way enclosed. The meaning of the Cars element is uncertain but early spellings (Kersaulton and Cresaulton) may indicate connection with a cross or perhaps cress, watercress having been grown locally.
Edward I quickly rushed to the queen and the newborn baby and had him presented with two cradles. His brother Edmund was born in the year after that. They were overseen by wet nurses until they were six years old. Like their parents, they learned to play chess and to ride horses. They were visited by nobles and their half-sister Mary of Woodstock, who was a nun. Their mother often accompanied Edward on his campaigns to Scotland, but kept herself well-informed on their well-being.
His father died when he was 7 years old. Thomas's half-brother, Edward, became king of England and Thomas was heir presumptive until his nephew Edward was born in 1312. The Earldom of Cornwall had been intended for Thomas, but Edward instead bestowed it upon his favourite, Piers Gaveston, in 1306. When Thomas was 10 years old, Edward assigned to him and his brother Edmund, the estates of Roger Bigod, 5th Earl of Norfolk who had died without heirs in 1306.