Our ancestors beginning with this William 1565, whose brothers most likely Thomas b 1560, and John born 1565:
2.William was the son of John Durnford b 1590 and d 1653. The name of his mother is unknown.
John was a church warden at North Cadbury.
|Church of St Michael North Cadbury|
The recorded births for William born 1590 include John b 1624 Mary 1625, Ann 1622, Joan 1627, Elizabeth 1634, Robert 1634 and William 1632.
(There are probably more, however none that can be confirmed in searches. As indicated in the story about the Civil War he had a lot of children. His son John held quite a lot of land on his death)*
*Reference to a transaction in Wiltshire Records.
The dealings are listed below, but provide evidence that John as the eldest son of John must have inherited his estates here at Deverill.
3. Andrew's father was William Durnford b 1632 d 1675 and his wife Jane
There are however no birth records to substantiate any births.
The name Andrew now gets passed down the lineage. Normally there would be a link back to the maternal side with the name Andrew
Research reveals that there was a family of millers who were living in Hampshire
John who owned a Mill at Preshute and Thomas who had one in Goodworth Clapton Andover
1675 Nov 27
Andover or Goodworth Clatpton
m Sarah JELLIFFE of A
And by extreme co-incidence who should die around 1660 but the deceased prelate, who was the eldest son of the Rev. Richard Durnford, rector of Goodworth Clatford, Hampshire, by Louisa, daughter of Mr. William
4. Thomas was the son of Andrew Durnford d 1690 from Andover region of Hampshire and he married firstly Mary Lancaster in 1670 and then Martha Philpots, in 1683 , at the age of 20.
Information relating to some Phillpotts in the area is listed below.
5. Thomas married Mary Chater who died in 30 May 1714 buried at St Mary's Church Devizes and then he married Mary Lane.
|St Mary's Church|
The recorded births are Elias 1720, Elizabeth 1723 Anne 1724 and Andrew 1725
Some points to consider at this stage:
- Was Andrew Durnford born 1663 (about) who died in 1720 the beneficiary of a will from Martha's family, either maternal or paternal, which provided him with lands and wealth?
- Was he involved in the clothing trade or involved with the Andrew's family and their mills?
There is evidence to show that the whole area was at one time heavily into weaving, both wool and then silk.
PHILLPOTTS IN ANDOVER
Martha Philpots was born in Andover Hampshire around 1660. The only family of Philpots in Andover at that time were that of John Philpots and his wife Mary.
Because of the lack of records, and the probability that Martha fits into this Phillpott family the following information may assist someone in the future.
Their children in Andover included Nicholas 1654, Abigale 1656, Thomas 1658, John 1663, Sarah, 1665. A birth for Martha who would have been born around this time is not evident from Andover, however there are no future records for Abigale, could she have been Abigale Martha?
The Phillpott family had origins in London, Kent, and some branches owned estates at Compton near Winchester.
He was esquire when he served sheriff of Hampshire in 16 Hen. VIII., and knight when
he again served in 27 Hen. Till. In 1539 he was summoned to attend the reception of
the lady Anna of Cleves : see the Chronicle of Calais, p. 177.
three sons, — Henry- of Barton, ob. s. p. ; "John the martyr;" and Thomas, ancestor
of those of Thruxton and Compton : and two daughters, married respectively to Egerton
and Boydell, both of Cheshire. (MS. of Philipot the Herald in Coll. Arm.)
There were several Phillpots High sheriffs Hampshire
Philpot was sometimes held in Bishop Bonner's coal house and sometimes in a tower. One day he might be loaded with chains, the next placed in the stocks. His opponents vowed openly to bring him to the stake, but at the same time sought to persuade him to recant his heresies. John Philpot held fast to his convictions through fourteen examinations.
Eighteen months passed in this imprisonment. There was no sign his resolve would weaken. Philpot managed to preserve secret notes about his hearings. Much of this material was later printed by John Foxe in his Actes and Monuments (better known as Foxe's Book of Martyrs).
The sheriff ordered the extra chains removed. On the 17th, while he ate supper, Philpot was told he must die the next day. To this he replied joyfully, "I am ready: God grant me strength and a joyful resurrection."
He was burned at Smithfield on 18 Dec. 1555
Some future Phillpotts fared a little better, with Henry becoming the Bishop of Exeter and His brother the local MP.
was educated at Gloucester Cathedral school
Henry Phillpotts, bishop of Exeter, second son of John Phillpotts, by his wife Sybella, was born at Bridgwater, Somerset, on 6 May 1778.
His father had sold the estate of Sonke, in the parish of Langarren, Herefordshire, which had been in the family for two centuries, and had become the proprietor of a pottery and brick factory at Bridgwater. (John and his wife Sybella Glover had 24 children)
In September 1782 he removed to Gloucester, where he bought and kept the Bell Inn and became land agent to the dean and chapter. Henry Phillpotts was educated at the Gloucester College school, and matriculated at Oxford, as scholar of Corpus Christi College, on 7 November 1791
|Bell Inn in Gloucester, this may or may not be the same Bell Inn (The Cotswsald area, simply stuning)|
Elizabeth or Anne Lisle married “John Philpot of Compton, Esq.” The direct male descent was Sir John Philpott, Sir Peter, and finally Thomas Philpott, Esq., who received half of the estate
Mary Lane was born 1691 and died 1737.
It seems she was born in Dorset, her father was Elias Lane and her mother Mary Randall married 23 August 1686 Buckland Newton
Elias Lane b 1655 - 20th November 1731 Anglican Church Christchurch was the son of Elias Lane born 1620 - 1657 and his wife Edith. Research shows Elias Lane as a Church warden.
Land dealings that are relevant to John and Elizabeth Durnford as above.
|Church of St Peter and St Paul Deverill|
The village of Longbridge Deverill is part of the Deverill valley. This encompasses six villages on the Wiltshire Downs where the western edge of Salisbury Plain dips into Somerset. Longbridge is the principle village and its parish includes neighbouring Crockerton. The other Deverills are Hill, now in Longbridge parish, Brixton, Monkton and Kingston
The name Deverill refers to the River Deverill, which flows through the whole valley. It rises to the west of Kingston Deverill and flows north, passing through the six villages. At Crockerton it meets the Shearwater Stream and becomes the River Wylye. The name Deverill literally means 'diving rill'. There are points along its route where it peters out and flows underground, hence the disappearing rill or stream.
The names Long-bridge and Hill are obvious. Brixton is named after an early landholder. Crockerton is named after a person, or potters in general. Monkton means Monk's Farm and Kingston goes back to the Conquest, after which the land was owned by the Crown.
The valley has been continuously inhabited by farming people since at least 3500 B.C. The first settlements were on high ground, as this was drier and easier to clear. Archaeological evidence has been found on Cold Kitchen Hill, possibly a Celtic name meaning Hill of the Wizard. Another suggestion is that the site was given this name after it was abandoned - a cold kitchen because no one lived there. There was also a settlement at Pertwood Down.
There are three long barrows in the valley. Two are over 100 yards in length, one on Cold Kitchen Hill, the other on Pertwood Down. The third is much smaller, on the lower slopes of Cold Kitchen Hill. A round barrow on Middle Hill in Kingston Deverill was found to contain a rare and beautiful necklace made of a glass-like substance found in the Baltic. This provides proof of trade between Wessex and the continent.
The first evidence of organised villages is around 600 B.C. An Iron Age site is on Cow Down at Longbridge Deverill. The settlement on Cold Kitchen Hill was occupied until c350 B.C. Another Iron Age site is near Keysley Farm between Kingston Deverill and Pertwood.
The valley continued to be both active and important during Roman times. Two Roman roads crossed at the ford at Kingston Deverill. One was the ancient lead road from Portchester and the other from Poole. The two join at the boundary between Monkton and Kingston Deverill. There were probably Roman villages at Longbridge, Hill, Monkton, Kingston and Lower Pertwood.
There is a strong connection with King Alfred, and his famous battle against the Danes at Ethandun. Alfred gathered his forces together at two meeting places, and it is possible that one of these was Court Hill at Kingston Deverill.
There are three Sarsen Stones in a field next to the church, which were found by a farmer on King's Court Hill. It is said that King Egbert held court here. Local tradition says that Alfred climbed neighbouring King's Hill to view the enemy's position. It is therefore quite possible that Alfred used these Sarsen Stones on King's Court Hill as a meeting point.
Prior to the Reformation, the Church was the main landowner in the Valley. At Domesday William the Conqueror confiscated much land from the English nobility, but left the holdings of the Church well alone. Longbridge, Crockerton and Monkton belonged to the Abbots of Glastonbury from the 10th century.
"Thynne family will flourish as long as the wall is cared for"
The story is that a Jewish pedlar cursed the family, threatening them with extinction if the wall is ever allowed to collapse.
At Hill Deverill there is a Manor House which was occupied by the Ludlow family in the 17th century. Their coat of arms is still visible on the Tithe barn, built c. 1500. It is also over the door of 86 Monkton Deverill.
Among the buildings of interest in Crockerton is Bull Mill. This is a large house of rubble stone, built mainly in the 15th and 16th centuries. It belonged to the owner of the Mill across the river Wylyewith the same name. There are also numerous listed buildings in the villages, including several cottages and houses built in the 17th and 18th centuries.
The Everett family of Heytesbury ran a large clothing factory in the 17th century, then the Wards and the Jupes ran a successful silk mill.
There is also sufficient water power here to drive a mill suitable for textiles. Bull Mill is mentioned in the Domesday Book, although the present building is 16th century. Originally a woollen cloth mill, it was converted to silk spinning in 1824 and greatly expanded until it was closed in 1894.
In the information about the Royalists, the tenants of Bull are mentioned