Family links to Cornwall, Dorset and Devon Areas.
There is evidence that the Derenefords certainly did live in Cornwall.
In each case, there is listed, the names of all the descendants of the person who made the original will. By working through that jigsaw puzzle, the first owner of the lands was William Derneford who died in 1255.
The following records relate to Court hearings about another will, this time the will of Stephen Derenford and his heirs. As was the case, a will left lands to forever, and trying to sort out who was who, must have been very difficult.
Some records from the Devon Archives in relation to the Manor of Roscraddock in Cornwall
Stephen Derneford married Ceilia. He died in 1388 she in 1389. From the content of the will some of the family members can be traced.
CP 25/1/46/88, number 237.
One month from St Michael, 28 Henry VI [27 October 1449].
Robert Burton', esquire, and Elizabeth, his wife, James Derneford, esquire, and Margaret, his wife, John Champernoun', esquire, and Elizabeth, his wife, querents, and William Paulet, knight, James Chuddelegh', esquire, and Nicholas Radeford', deforciants.
The manor of Bykebury.
Plea of covenant.
Robert, Elizabeth, his wife, James Derneford, Margaret, John and Elizabeth, his wife, have acknowledged the manor to be the right of William, as that which William, James Chuddelegh' and Nicholas have of their gift.
William, James Chuddelegh' and Nicholas have granted to Robert and Elizabeth, his wife, the manor and have rendered it to them in the court, to hold to Robert and Elizabeth, his wife, of the chief lords for the lives of Robert and Elizabeth, without impeachment of waste during the life of Robert, rendering yearly to William, James Chuddelegh' and Nicholas and the heirs of William 20 pounds sterling, to wit, a moiety at Easter and the other moiety at St Michael. William, James Chuddelegh' and Nicholas and the heirs of William shall have the right to distrain.
And after the decease of Robert and Elizabeth, his wife, a moiety of the manor shall remain to James Derneford and Margaret and the heirs of the body of Margaret, to hold of the chief lords for ever. In default of such heirs the moiety shall remain to the right heirs of Margaret. And after the decease of Robert and Elizabeth, his wife, the other moiety of the manor shall remain to John and Elizabeth, his wife, and the heirs of the body of Elizabeth, to hold of the chief lords for ever. In default of such heirs the moiety shall remain to the right heirs of Elizabeth.
Edgcumbe family of Cotehele, Calstock and Mount Edgcumbe, Maker
HE CISTERCIAN HOUSES OF DEVON. strictly enforced, and it must have ..... for that the Lord of the Manor of Stonehouse, James Derneford, had, in defiance of the ... The monks would not allow James Derneford to use these marks of authority, ...... Johanni Daumarle, Willielmo de Bykebury, et Martino Ferrers, salutem.
22. In 1448 the monks considered themselves aggrieved for that the Lord of the Manor of Stonehouse,
James Derneford, had, in defiance of the rights of the abbot and monks as lo-ds of the hundred of lioborough, set up at Stonehouse a pillory and tumbrel, and had held a court of frank-pledge there. This was a usurpation, and gave rise to much trouble and unpleasantness.
The monks would not allow James Derneford to use these marks of authority, and he would not admit that he was wrong, or remove them. At last, as recited in the award, the whole matter was referred, by the mediation of friends, to the decision of William Hylle, the Prior of Plympton, and James Chudlegh, Esq.
The award was in favour of the abbey ; and besides removing the pillory and tumbrel, James Derneford had to pay £20, as a fine for his encroachment.!
He married Radigund Cotterell, she died 1427 and was the daughter of Nicholas Cotterell.
James married Jane Holland daughter of John Holland and his wife Margaret b 1455 d 1475
They had a daughter Joan Dunford 1472 - 1520 She married Piers Edgecombe 1474 -1529
(Information indicating that her father was Stephen and her mother was Anne Holland is incorrect)
Durn(e)ford Stephen, and Tavistock, circa 1368, land speculator/owner, p 20, 30, 45
Durnford Celia,, 1369, wife of Stephen, p 30
Durnford James,, 1449, distinguished man accused of owning a pirate ship, p 61, 69, 70
Durnford Joan,,, daughter of James and wife of Piers Edgcumbe, p 30
Estonhous, in the parish of Plymouth first called Hippeston, and was the dwelling of Joel de Stanehouse and William de Stanhouse. Stonehous lieth on the aft side of the entrance of he river Tamer. This place from a private house, is become a convenient bigg town well inhabited. It was first the land of the name of Stonehous, and in the latter end of the reign of King Edward, Stephen Derenfor dwelled there, and later him Stephen his son, with by Radigund, daughter of Nicholas Cotterell, had issues James, who by Jen daughter of John Holland and Margaret, one of the daughters and heiresses of William Bigbiry had issues James who had issue, Joan first married unto Charles Dinham and secon unto Sir Peter Edgcomb of Cuttel in Corwall. By Sir William Pole cir 1791
Probably Radigund was names after a Princess
Radegund was a 6th-century Thuringian princess and Frankish queen, who founded the Abbey of the Holy Cross at Poitiers. She is the patron saint of several churches in France and England and of Jesus College, Cambridge Wikipedia
Rame Head, a coastal headland near the first of these, as well as the Rame Peninsula
Rame (Cornish: Hordh) is a hamlet between Rame Head and the village of Cawsand in South East Cornwall. It is situated on the Rame Peninsula. Rame means the high protruding cliff, or possibly, the ram's head.
She brought with her to the Damarels an extensive estate which included the manors of Gidleigh (with its castle), Throwleigh, and one-third of Holberton.
John Damarel was a minor on the death of his father in 1339.
According to Vivian he married firstly Joan, daughter of Sir John Cheverston which, if correct, made him a second cousin of Earl Edward.
He married again, this time to Isobel, the widow of Thomas Tremayn of Carwithinack (Cornwall), probably in about 1380 when his entire estate was granted to feoffees.
Sir John Damarel had himself died without direct heirs: part of his widow's estate passed, as a result of an enfeoffment in favour of John Holand, earl of Huntingdon, to Sir John Cornwall (who married Holand's widow), but most passed to Isobel's heir, Nicholas Tremayn, and this included much of the Damarel patrimony.
Died without issue his brother Perys became heir and married Onera Trevartea son Richard
Damarel was active in various public capacities in Devon from the early-1380s: a collector of a subsidy in 1371, a commissioner of array in 1371, 1377, 1385 and 1392, a JP from 1380 to 1384, sheriff in 1373 and 1377, and county M.P. in 1380.
He acted as a feoffee for Sir Philip Courtenay, Sir Richard Champernon and Martin Ferrers (q.v.) --all connected with the earl. An inventory of his personal possessions has recently been published.
m John Durnford b 1370
Inherited Gidleigh from her mother. Party to a finenamed in deed of enfeoffment 5 hen IV (1404). Isabella D'Aumarle paid John Durnford and Johanna his wife 1000 marks to relinquish claim to Gidleigh
Shortly afterwards in 1332, the wealthy heiress Dame Alicia de Moeles, chatelaine of Gidleigh Castle, and owner of the manor of Gidleigh and Throwleigh, obtained license from the Bishop for a priest under her patronage, Richard de Chageforde, to celebrate Mass in her newly built Chapel of La Wallen on the hill above Chagford bridge.
Parochial History of Cornwall 1838
The link between the Holland inheritance of the estates, it all must have been in a marriage bond between Duke of Exeter and his divorced wife.
St Ledger was elected to the last parliament of Edward IV which met at Westminster on 18 January 1843. Two items were transacted in this assembly which did directly affect him, first thee was the exemption of certain named individuals of whom St Ledger was one, and secondly the Act which settled the estates of Henry Holland late Duke of Exeter upon St Ledgers daughter Ann who was contracted to marry Thomas Grey son of Marquie of Dorset therefore the queens grandson.
Ann St Ledger was the daughter of Anne of York, who was married to Henry Holland 3rd Duke of Exeter
The marriage was unhappy and Exeter and his wife mostly lived apart. Exeter was also a loyal Lancastrian while his wife was a Yorkist, and Exeter fought against Richard, 3rd Duke of York, at the Battle of Wakefield where Anne's father and her brother, Edmund, Earl of Rutland, died in battle.
Anne and Exeter eventually separated. Thomas fought against Exeter at the Battle of Barnet, where Exeter was badly wounded and left for dead, but survived. Exeter was later imprisoned, and Anne divorced him in 1472.
Exeter was also on Edward's expedition with Thomas St Leger to France in 1475. On the return voyage he fell overboard and drowned. Some say he was in fact thrown overboard at the King's command. St Leger's stepdaughter, Anne Holland, died some time around 1474, leaving her inherited Exeter estates behind.
Anne of York died giving birth in 1476 to her and Thomas's only child, another girl named Anne.
Following his wife’s death, St. Leger remained on good terms with his brother-in-law, Edward IV, and served as the King's Controller of the Mint. In 1481, he was granted a license to found a perpetual chantry of two chaplains at the Chapel of St. George in memory of his wife.
He never remarried. In 1483, by Act of Parliament, Anne St. Leger was declared heiress to the entire Exeter estate, except for a portion which was given to the queen's son Richard Grey. This act, by which the lands of the Exeter dukedom fell into the hands of the last duke's stepdaughter and his daughter's brother-in-law, along with a number of similar acts, is thought to be a cause of difficulty in maintaining noble support for the reign of Edward IV
His daughter Anne St Leger (14 January 1476 – 21 April 1526) eventually married George Manners, 11th Baron de Ros. Their son was Thomas Manners, 1st Earl of Rutland, and their daughter, Lady Eleanor Manners (1505 – 16 September 1548) married John Bourchier, 2nd Earl of Bath, and had descendants. Lady Anne St. Leger and her husband George are both buried in the private Rutland Chapel in Windsor Castle
Anne St Leger (later Baroness de Ros; 14 January 1476 – 21 April 1526) was a niece of two Kings of England, Edward IV and Richard III. Before she was 8 she had inherited a vast fortune and been disinherited of it. Married at 14, she had 11 children, and is a link in the maternal line that was used to identify the remains of Richard III.
Sir Thomas St Leger KB (c. 1440 – executed 8 November 1483) was the second son of Sir John St Leger of Ulcombe, Kent, and his wife, Margery Donnet.
He was also the second husband of Anne of York (10 August 1439 – 14 January 1476), daughter of Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York (by his wife Cecily Neville) and thus she was an elder sister of Kings Edward IV (1461-1483) and Richard III (1483-1485).
His younger brother, Sir James St Leger of Annery in Devon, married Anne Butler, daughter of Thomas Butler, 7th Earl of Ormond, and was therefore an uncle to Thomas Boleyn, 1st Earl of Wiltshire.
Obviously there was a reason for the 'castle' and that was the manor of Gidleigh which dates back to Anglo Saxon times. As always, it never hurts to firstly have a look at the origin of the actual place-name - Gidleigh. Glover Et al, (1998, p.438) note that the first recorded evidence of Gidleigh was in 1158 when it appears in the Red Book of Exchequer as Geddelagæ. This name consists of a personal and descriptive element, namely, Gydda and leah thus giving, 'Glydda's Clearing'. For some unknown reason they make no mention of the Gidleigh entry in the Domesday Book of 1086. It is only a short record which states, 'Godwin the priest holds Chiderleia from the Count, He held it himself before 1066. It paid tax for 3 furlongs. Land for 1 plough ... Value 5s'. The actual extract can be seen below, (Morris, 1986, p.104c).
Dates of deceased
|Derneford||James (& John Witlegh)||Langonet [St Veep]||CON||esquire||1468||O||ab||TAPS||8 Edw. IV. No. 55||Inquisition Post Mortem; new reference Edw. IV. File 30 (55)|
|Dernford||James||Exeter [Exeter St Pancras]||DEV||1479||O||ab||TAPS||19 Edw. IV. No. 35||Inquisition Post Mortem; new reference Misc. Inquiries 329|
|Dernford||James||Rescradok [St Cleer]||CON||1479||O||ab||TAPS||19 Edw. IV. No. 21||Inquisition Post Mortem; new reference IPM Edw. 4. File 69 (21)|
|Dernford||Stephen||Plymouth||DEV||1388||O||ab||TAPS||12 Ric. II. No. 142||Inquisition Post Mortem; new reference File 407 No. 23|
|Dernford||Stephen||Rame||CON||1427||O||ab||TAPS||6 Hen. VI. No. 42||Inquisition Post Mortem; new reference Hen. 6. File 34 (42)|
|Dernford||Stephen||Exeter [Exeter St Pancras]||DEV||esquire||1472||O||ab||TAPS||6 Hen. VI. No. 42||Inquisition Post Mortem; new reference Hen. 6. File 34 (42)|
Devon derives its name from Dumnonia, which, during the British Iron Age and Roman Britain, was the homeland of the Dumnonii Celts. The Anglo-Saxon settlement of Britain resulted in the partial assimilation of Dumnonia into the Kingdom of Wessex during the eighth and ninth centuries. The western boundary with Cornwall was set at the River Tamar by King Æthelstan in 936. Devon was constituted as a shire of the Kingdom of England thereafter.