John and Margaret Rogers' children
The stories get a little complicated so hopefully by separating each of their stories you will be able to follow.
Firstly the story of John Rogers II was the brother of our great grandmother, Margaret Rogers.
In those times the eldest son became the heir.
|Inside the Cathedral|
He was buried in St. Nicholas' 9th November, 1709, his will being dated 14th November, 1698. Several of his children died in infancy, and he was survived by his widow and only son.
|Surviving tomb of unknown|
In the records of the Hostmen in Newcastle in 1682 John Rogers was described as a Merchant Adventurer.
From the archives we learn a little of his leases and his relationships with his family members.
William Grey, of Backworth, Esq. by will, dated May 26, 1714, in case of failure of issue of his own body, charged his estates with the payment of L 100 to the church of St. Nicholas, the interest to be given to the poor yearly. Elizabeth Rogers, by will, dated December 15, 1733, gave L 50 to the poor of this parish, the interest to be paid yearly on the day of her death. Mrs. Timothea Davison, who died June 4, 1757, gave L 20 to the poor of this parish, to be distributed immediately after her death. William Moulton, of Newcastle, skinner and glover, by will, dated February 26, 1776, charged an annuity of L 15 on houses in the Ship Entry, Old Flesh Market, for the poor of this parish; but a flaw being discovered in the will, Mr. Moulton's pious intentions were not fulfilled.She died 19th April 1734 and is buried at St Nicholas's Church
Elizabeth had a brother George born 1656 and a sister Jane Ellison, born 1647. Jane married in 1674 James Clavering.
The Clavering family were wealthy and they owned coal mines.
Through marriage John Rogers acquired further interest in some of these lands and was in partnership with various members of his family and other wealthy coal mining merchants.
From the Archives we learn that this John Rogers II went to fight in the wars.
And some land leases made while he was fighting
Sir Thomas Clavering, 7th Baronet (19 June 1719 – 14 October 1794) succeeded to the Baronetcy of Axwell and to the family estates on the death of his father in 1748.
He was Member of Parliament for St Mawes 1753–1754, and for Shaftesbury 1754–60 (where he paid £2000 to secure the seat). He resigned his seat at Shaftesbury in December 1760 to fight a by-election for County Durham; he lost that election and the general election of 1761, but was elected for the constituency at the third attempt in 1768 and continued to represent it until 1790.
Prior to his succession he lived at Greencroft Hall, Greencroft, Durham, a spacious mansion built by his grandfather James Clavering (1647–1721) in the late 17th century. In 1758, he replaced his father's old house Axwell House, near Blaydon on Tyne, with a new mansion house in Palladian style.
He had substantial mining interests including collieries at Beckley and Andrews House which between 1726 and 1747 were leased out to the Grand Allies partnership.
His marriage was childless and he was succeeded by his nephew Thomas, son of his brother George Clavering (1719–1794) of Greencroft.
Another brother was Lieutenant General Sir John Clavering (1722–1777) who was Commander-in-Chief, India 1774–1777.
My lands, &c., in Newcastle, Denton, Sugley, Throckley, Newbiggin, Scotswood, Puncheon
Rigg, North Shields, Lamesley, North Seaton, and Rudchester, my colliery at
Bensham, my collieries and salt pans at Cullercoats, Whitley, Monk-seaton,
John Rogers owned the Whitley Colliery with partners. (from the Tyne and Wear Archives)
In the early eighteenth century Chirton Colliery, working the High Main Seam, was let to John Rogers and Henry Hudson, owners of the adjacent Whitley Colliery (Turnbull 2012, 13 route 9). In 1754, the colliery was leased to a consortium led by a coal buyer, Edmund Shallet and the principal landowners, Edward Collingwood and Hylton Lawson. By 1769, Shallet’s share had been bought up by John Liddell.
Cullercoats Harbour used to be a salt (see HER 5480) and coal harbour - these operations had ceased by the mid-18th century. A wooden pier was built in 1677. Cullercoats Port was put under the charge of the Custom House Officer at Blyth when permission was granted for the export of coal from the pier, which had been built by the partners of Whitley Colliery (Thomas Dove, John Carr, John Rogers and Henry Hudson) and Lady Elizabeth Percy, heiress of the 11th Earl of Northumberland.
Between 1681 and 1688 Captain Granville Collins in his yacht "Merlin" made a survey of the coast of Britain published as "Great Britain's Coasting Pilot". "Collar Coates" is described as "a pier where vessels enter at high water and to load coals and lie dry at low water. The going in of this place is between several rocks. The way in is beacon'd". In 1710 the wooden pier was damaged in a storm. Trade from Cullercoats was stifled following the Jacobean Uprising of 1715 when Papists and Quakers (Cullercoats residents being largely Quakers) were kept under surveillance. In 1723-4 78 vessels left Cullercoats harbour with coal, and in 1724 758 tons of salt was shipped from Cullercoats, in ships like the "St Michael" of London.
Rudchester was sold to John Rogers in 1685 but he died in 1708, and was buried in St. Nicholas Church Newcastle, so the property passed to his son John Rogers III.
His father owned Monkseaton North West fram which bounded the Red House farm (an area) It was surrended April 22 1690 by John Rogers to Henry Hudson, later it was sold to the Duke of Northumberland
At the Bensham Colliery in 1705 about 30 men died and in 1710, around 80 men lost their lives in an explosion at the mine.
Elizabeth Ellison's family - The Ellison Lineage
Benjamin Ellison was a merchant and adventurer in Newcastle. He was baptised 23 March 1629 and died around 1676. He married Isabell Lilburne who died 1698, her father was a Knight.
Robert Ellison (1614-1678), a parliamentarian, prospered during the civil war and became an MP in 1647. Acquisition of the Hebburn Estate and Hebburn Hall enabled him to prosper further from the coal trade and to gain gentry status. Robert's grandson Robert (1665-1726) married Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Liddell of Ravensworth Castle, forming an alliance with a wealthy and politically powerful family. Their second son Henry (1699-1775) further consolidated the family's position by marriage to Hannah Cotesworth, daughter of William of Gateshead Park.
Cotesworth, from humble beginnings, had already made his fortune in trade when he acquired the manors of Gateshead and Whickham, which controlled the passage of coal from south of the Tyne. On Henry Ellison's death, Gateshead Park and the bulk of the Cotesworth inheritance passed to his eldest son Henry, who also subsequently inherited his uncle's estate at Hebburn, making him one of the principal landowners in the north east.
The next head of the family was Henry's younger son Cuthbert (1783-1860) who once again further extended the family's estates through his marriage to Isabella Ibbetson of Newcastle, heir to the Bonner estates at St Anthony's and Byker, as well as land at Jarrow.
Meanwhile Cuthbert's sister Hannah had married John Carr of Dunston Hill and their son Ralph, who took the name Carr-Ellison was to become the heir to the whole of the two estates. Cuthbert, however, spent little time on Tyneside, preferring his town house in London and his Surrey estate to either Hebburn or Gateshead, which had rapidly industrialised.