Google+ Badge

Friday, January 2, 2015 Arthur Lydekker's brother Richard Lydekker and his children - Supreme Sacrifice WWI

Gerard and Martha Lydekker had 4 sons

Richard Lydekkar  b  1849      d 1915  m  Lucy Davys  1861  - 1915
John Lydekkar       b  1850      d  1935  m  Mary D Bedrord   1855  1947
Arthur Lydekker    b   1853     d   1935 m  Julia Mabel Durnford   1861   1952
Edgar Lydekker     b   1864     d   1939  m  Flora Cassidy Buckton  1865      Edgar was a solicitor.

Richard Lydekker.

Richard was in India at the time of his father's death.  He returned home to the Lodge in 1882 and took up his position as head of the family.

Shortly afterwards he married Lucy Davys, the elder daughter of the Rector of Wheathampstead.  Both Lucy and Richard died in 1915

They had five children, Helen, born in 1883, Beatrice in 1884, Hilda in 1886, Gerard in 1887 and Cyril in 1889.

Richard's family after the wedding of Beatrice and Ernest Clutterbuck in 1915. On the left Cyril and Helen; on the right Hilda and Gerard. The man next to Ernest Clutterbuck is unidentified. Cyril and Gerard both died in the First World War

LHS archive, LHS 004521

 Richard became internationally famous as a naturalist and geologist, and did much important work at the Natural History Museum in London. He became a Fellow of the Zoological Society in 1880, of the Geological Society in 1883 and received his greatest honour when elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1894.  

Richard and Lucy Lydekke's children

Helen Margaret Lydekkar     b   1863   d  1956
Beatrice Cornelia Lydekker  b    1884  d   1970  m  Ernest Charles Clutterbuck in 1915 4th East                                                                           Anglia Artillery in WWI.  He was a mining Engineer.   They                                                                had two children
                 Robert Gerard Clutterbuck       b 24th October 1919    He died in 2012
                 Cornelia Marianne Clutterbuck b 27 July 1916      She died in 1987

Hilda Lucy Lydekker            b    1806   d   1967
Gerard Owen Lydekker         b    1857   d   1917
Cyril Richard Lydekker         b   1889    d   1915

Ernest Clutterbuck was a well respected professional who by the accounts written by a relative treated his family quite badly.   He was famous for cataloguing the dinosaurs in the National History Muesum.

Ronald G Clutterbuck

Joined the military 
Medal or Award:Royal Fleet Reserve Long Service and Good Conduct Medal
Service Year:1935-1952

Manchester Regiment
Temporary Captain Mentioned in Despatches 1945 Twice
He was a Graduate of the Staff College Camberley or Quetta and a Major in 1952
General Staff Officer 2nd Grad for Military Intelligence at the War Office in 1956

Post 2nd World War, up to amalgamation with the Kings Regiment (Liverpool)

Title:Captain R G Clutterbuck (with cane) talking to L to R - 2nd Lieut Bonner, a police inspector, CSM Hill (A Company), and Major Edwards (A Company).
Battalion:1st Battalion
Background Information:Before going on Parade to inspect the Guard.
Classification:1st Battalion England and Germany 1945-1951
Place:Spandau, Berlin, Germany.                                              

Date Period:1939_to_1945
Period:Second World War
Title:Captain Robert Clutterbuck, Adjutant
Battalion:1st Battalion
Classification:1st Battalion - Europe 1942 onwards

In Germany


Date Period:1945_to_1958
Period:Post 2nd World War, up to amalgamation with the Kings Regiment (Liverpool)
Title:Major Robert Clutterbuck inspecting the Sarawak Rangers
Battalion:1st Battalion
Classification:1st Battalion Malaya 1951 - 1954                                  

Inspecting troops in Malaya

There were many members of the Clutterbuck family who fought in the First World War and in the Second World War. 

When he retired he worked as a Burser at a girls school.  
A book written by Bernard Pratt detailed his life.

MAJOR ROBERT CLUTTERBUCK 17th April Major Robert Clutterbuck at Sunrise, Mobberley on 17th April. Memorial service at St Oswald's, Lower Peover on Wednesday 18th July at 11 a.m  

Robert also has a Foundation.

The Trust exists to help other charities by making grants to them. It has set priorities and invites applications within those priority areas. In practice, the Trustees do not consider applications for payments to individuals and do not generally pay grants below £1000 or over £3000.
They prefer their grants to be applied for the purchase of specific items to assist:-

Personnel within the Armed Forces and Ex-Servicemen and women;

Sport and Recreational Facilities for young people giving priority to Cheshire and Hertfordshire

The Welfare, Protection and Preservation of Domestic Animal Life giving priority to Cheshire and Hertfordshire

Natural History and wildlife

Other charities associated with the counties of Cheshire and Hertfordshire

Charities which would have had particular appeal to the founder, Major Robert Clutterbuck

Cornelia Clutterbuck did not marry but she wrote many scrap books about life, which are held at the Halrbenden Historical Society.

She died in 1987.

Richard and Lucy both died in 1915.    Both their sons enlisted in World War I.

Gerard Owen Lydekker was born in 1887 and died in 1917.

He was a member of the Bedfordshire Regiment.

Lieutenant & Quartermaster Gerard Owen LYDEKKER
Died 14th June 1917, aged 29.

Gerard was the son of the late Richard Lydekker, F.R.S. and Lucy Marianne Lydekker (nee Davys).

He was born at Harpenden, Herts, educated at Haileybury College, and is buried in the Alexandria (Hadra) War Memorial Cemetery.

Lt Gerard Lydekker became the Battalions Quartermaster before they sailed for Gallipoli and served with them until his death in 1917.

His younger brother, Cyril Lydekker, was killed on Gallipoli (see above) 15th August 1915.

Lt Gerard Lydekker died on the 14th June 1917, aged 29 from Myasthenia Gravis at No. 17 Central Hospital in Alexandria and is buried in the Hadra Military Cemetery.

LYDEKKER Gerard Owen,                  Lieutenant & Quartermaster        1/5 Bedfordshire Regiment
He was born at The Lodge, Harpenden on 20 December 1887, the elder son of Richard and Lucy Lydekker. He died in Alexandria on 14 June 1917 of an illness contracted on active service.

From the War Diary regarding camp Sheikh Abbas Camp  During June they did a lot of training.

 13 Jun 1917 During the day work continued on men's bivouacks & redoubts. 1900 B Coy was detached & lent to 1/4 NORFOLK Regt under 163 Bde orders & were employed to form 3 local supports to the 3 coys of NORFOLKS in the right of the Bde line.

14 Jun 1917 Work continued at the redoubts which are all very incomplete a list or work to be done & work completed will be given in appendix A. Working parties of 100 were sent to each redoubt from the reserve div to help. [Comment; Lt & Quartermaster Gerald Owen Lydekker died of Myasthenia Gravis at the Hadra Hospital In Alexandria]


Myasthenia Gavis - In 1917 medicine knowledge was nothing like it is today, the medical staff must have been very skilled to be able to determine the cause of his death.

It is a neuromuscular disease which is either autoimmune or congenital, and it is relative rare. The onset of the disorder can be sudden. Often, symptoms are intermittent. The diagnosis of myasthenia gravis may be delayed if the symptoms are subtle or variable. In most cases, the first noticeable symptom is weakness of the eye muscles. In others, difficulty in swallowing and slurred speech may be the first signs.

Since the comprehensive study by Bell in 1917 no systematic treatise on the thymic tumors of myasthenia gravis has appeared. It might be expected that the past twenty years would have added the records of many more cases to the literature and have extended our knowledge of the pathological anatomy of myasthenia gravis and the associated thymic tumors. On the contrary but few cases with autopsy findings have been reported and our conceptions concerning the morbid anatomy of this disease are much the same as they were in 1917.

In the period from 1901, the year in which Weigert published the record of the first case of myasthenia gravis with an associated thymus tumor, to 1917, Bell found published reports of 56 autopsied cases of this disease. He wrote: “The thymus was described as enlarged in seventeen of these cases; and in ten others it contained a tumor. Therefore some form of thymic involvement seems to occur in nearly half the cases of myasthenia gravis.” Since 1917 the records of 6 more autopsies have been published and 5 of these showed thymic lesions. Of the 4 cases to be reported here, 2 had thymic lesions which were recognized.

LYDEKKER Cyril Richard                   Lieutenant       5th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment
He was born at The Lodge, Harpenden, the younger son of Richard Lydekker, Esq. and Lucy his wife.
 He was educated at Haileybury College. He was killed in action at Sulva, Gallipoli, on 15 August 1915, and is commemorated at the AZMAK Cemetery at Sulva.

Cyril Lydekker became a subaltern on the 14th March 1914 and was the brother of Lt Gerald Owen Lydekker, who was to become the Battalions Quartermaster in 1915.

Cyril was from Harpenden and was killed on the 15th August 1915, aged 25, during the second assault on Kidney Hill itself. He was the son of the late Richard Lydekker, F.R.S. and Lucy Marianne Lydekker, of Harpenden Lodge, Harpenden, Herts.
The Regiment

In March 1915, the 1st/5th Battalion moved from Bury to Norwich and then to St. Albans in May, where specialist training was stepped up and their formation was re-designated as the 162nd (East Midland) Brigade in the 54th (East Anglian) Division. On the 25th July hot climate uniforms were issued, the battalion were ordered to hurriedly collect all stores and equipment and they set off for the south coast on a series of trains.

The battalion left Devonport on the 26th July 1915, bound for 'somewhere out East' and, after a brief stop-over in Egypt, disembarked on Gallipoli, serving there between 10th August and 4th December. During their assault against the Kiretch Tepe Sirt on 15th August 1915 an observing Staff Officer observed their progress through his binoculars and saw the battalion's metal flashes glinting yellow in the sun as they doggedly advanced. He remarked "By Jove! If only we had one or two more battalions of those yellow devils we should be across the peninsular by tommorow". With that, the battalion's nickname - the 'Yellow Devils' - was born. A pitifully small number of them remained by December 1915 and they were moved back to Egypt to be rebuilt between January and March 1916, after which a year-long posting to guard the Suez Canal followed. The battalion advanced to Gaza with the British and Commonwealth forces in March 1917, taking part in all of the actions there and during the advances through Palestine that followed. By the armistice in October 1918, they were stationed at Beirut, having spent the entire campaign in that theatre of war.

The 2nd Objective; Kidney Hill

As soon as the Bedfords left their trenches to form up for the second advance, they came under heavy fire. It was so bad that one company of the Bedfords (likely to be B Company) recorded that it was "led from the outset by a Private" as all Officers and NCO's became casualties "in the opening minutes of the (2nd) attack". An eyewitness from the 8th Hampshire Battalion positioned high above on the Kiretch Tepe Ridge wrote that the 5th Bedfords had to advance across a mile of open ground and were subject to heavy fire all the way with "one unfortunate soldier having an arm carried away by a shell which did not burst for another 50 yards". Watching the advance from their position "caused one company of the 8th Hampshires to refuse to move, and they were sent to the beach."
(Source; Prof Tim Travers "Gallipoli 1915" pp160)

Private Horace Manton of the 5th Bedfords wrote; 'We'd got no cover at all. One of the lieutenants was going aside of me. We were in open formation. He got shot while we were going up the hill, I said: "Do you need any help Sir?" He said: "No, carry on, don't break the line." Our commanding officer, Colonel Brighten, got through alright. He gave us the name of the Yellow Devils. We got to the top and then we got blasted by shrapnel. I saw my cousin get killed in front of me. He was crying when he got shot. It killed him anyhow; he was only sixteen. How I missed it I don't know, shrapnel was flying all the time.'" Horace Manton survived both the charge and the war. 

Lt Colonel Brighten (commander 5th Beds) had instilled into his troops that 'What we win, we hold' as the best way to protect their fallen comrades on the field behind them, so they dug themselves in best they could and braced themselves.
15th August
That night the aftermath of battle was terrible. Private Harold Thomas of the 5th Bedfords, who was in one of the many patrols sent out that night, wrote "I remember the tremendous crash of rifle and machine-gun fire close to us and the 'thump' 'thump' of bullets and sparks flying from stones while an officer, sergeant and six of us pushed through the scrub towards the curve of a hill which showed up darkly against the night sky. 

Between the bursts of fire the silence was broken by agonizing cries which will always haunt me: seemingly from all about that hill there were voices crying 'Ambulance' 'Stretcher-bearers' 'Ambulance' 'Oh damn you my leg's broken' and then again 'Stretcher-bearers.' It was horrible, we would start for a voice and it would cease and another far away would begin.

 That hill-side was a shambles: evidently there had been a fierce hand-to-hand fighting there a few hours ago, rifles, kits, water-bottles, khaki, Turkish tunics and headgear were strewn among the scrub. While we were following a phantom-like voice we came suddenly on a half dug trench which an RAMC officer had made into a combined mortuary and first aid station; there we set furiously to work sorting out the dead from the living; there reeled among us out of the darkness an officer raving, 'My men have taken that bloody hill but they're dying of thirst.' He passed on and we continued our ghastly work."

As on Kidney Hill, attempts were made to recover the wounded left on the ground by the Irish on the Kiretch Tepe Ridge. "Second-Lieutenant Lyndon spent much of the night rescuing them in the depth of Turkish lines, to earn the first of two MCs he would gain during the war. In later years he was to say that he only got the awards 'because there was nobody else left alive to receive them'." 

According to Captain Webster's 1935 history of the battalion, 26 officers and 750 ranks left England in July 1915, with 231 officers and 4,939 ranks reinforcing the battalion during the war. 

17 officers and 202 ranks were killed, 29 officers and 660 ranks were wounded, with 1 officer and 10 ranks being taken prisoner. 

Sickness accounted for the largest percentage of casualties by far, totalling 116 officers and 4,125 ranks. 

Cyril had been educated at Haileybury College, and is buried at Azmak Cemetery, Suvla. 

 The Galliopoli Story

The eight month campaign in Gallipoli was fought by Commonwealth and French forces in an attempt to force Turkey out of the war, to relieve the deadlock of the Western Front in France and Belgium, and to open a supply route to Russia through the Dardanelles and the Black Sea.

The Allies landed on the peninsula on 25-26 April 1915; the 29th Division at Cape Helles in the south and the Australian and New Zealand Corps north of Gaba Tepe on the west coast, an area soon known as Anzac. On 6 August, further troops were put ashore at Suvla, just north of Anzac, and the climax of the campaign came in early August when simultaneous assaults were launched on all three fronts.

The aim of the Suvla force had been to quickly secure the sparsely held high ground surrounding the bay and salt lake, but confused landings and indecision caused fatal delays allowing the Turks to reinforce and only a few of the objectives were taken with difficulty.

With Hill 10 Cemetery, Azmak recalls the northern part of the Suvla operations and the attempts to take and hold the Kiretch Tepi ridge and the high ground to the east. The cemetery was made after the Armistice when graves were brought in from isolated sites in the area and from the following smaller cemeteries:- Dublin (from the 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers); Sulajik; 5th Norfolk (under the foothills of Tekke Tepe, where some of the 1st/5th Norfolks, who fell on the 12th August, were buried); Borderers' Ravine; Oxford Circus; Worcester (from the 4th Worcesters); Kidney Hill; Irish; Azmak Nos. 1, 2, 3 and 4; Jephson's Post (named after Major J. N. Jephson, attd. 6th Royal Munster Fusiliers who was mortally wounded capturing the position on the 15th August); Essex Ravine; Hill 28; and Lone Tree Gully.


There are now 1,074 First World War servicemen buried or commemorated in this cemetery. 684 of the burials are unidentified, but special memorials commemorate by name a number of casualties known or believed to be buried among them. Also among the unidentified graves are those of 114 officers and men of the 1st/5th Bn. Norfolk Regiment (which contained the Sandringham Company) who died on 12 August 1915.

Amongst the graves are 115 men of the 1/5th (Territorial) Battalion of the Norfolk Regiment, of which the names of only two are known. The battalion, which included a company recruited from workers from the Sandringham House Royal estate, suffered heavy losses on 12 August 1915 and a myth grew up that the unit had advanced into a mist and simply disappeared.[1] However the remains of many of them were found after the Armistice and interred in the cemetery. In 1999 a TV film, All the King's Men was made about the incident.

After mammoth battlefield clearance operations 31 Commonwealth cemeteries were left containing 19,000 graves of which only 6,000 were identified. A further 2,500 of the dead believed to be buried among the unidentified are commemorated in the cemeteries by Special Memorials bearing an inscription to this effect. The remainder of those buried in unknown graves, or whose remains were never found, make up the 27,000 named on six memorials to the missing on Gallipoli. 

Date of Death:
Bedfordshire Regiment
5th Bn.
Grave Reference:
Special Memorial 14.
Looking down from Suvla

British Base Camp Suvla

 Some Turkish Photos

                                                                                                      Fatigue parties resting, Suvla Bay. Shipping in background.
5 Ağustos 1915. / Brigade Gully, foothills of Kiretch Tepe Sirt,
looking towards Suvla Bay. It w3as here that a successful attack
was made by three battalions of the 162nd Infantry Brigade, 15th August, 1915.

19/20 December Suvla Bay evacuation gathered materials for the condition, by the way, you can see the shadow of the man who took the photo. /Evacuation of Suvla and ANZAC, 19th/20th December 1915. Stores at Suvla Point,

Cyril Richard Lydekker

Enlisted in the 5th Battalion and gained appointment as a Lieutenant 29th August 1914.

1/5th Battalion Territorial Force
04.08.1914 Stationed at Bedford as part of the East Midland Brigade of the East Anglian Division.
Aug 1914 Moved to Romford and then Bury St. Edmunds.
May 1915 Moved to St. Albans and the formation became the 162nd Brigade of the 54th Division.
26.05.1915 Mobilised for war and embarked for Gallipoli from Plymouth via Mudros.
11.08.1915 Landed at Suvla Bay and engaged in various actions against the Turkish Army.

He was killed 15th August 1915 at Galliopoli

He was awarded the Star Medal, Victory and British War Medals.

No comments:

Post a Comment