Thomas de Dutton and Ellen de Thornton.
They had two children:
Edmund de Dutton 1342 who married Joan Minshull
Joanna de Dutton 1335 who married John de Haydock 1322 Our lineage
Joanna and John de Haydock had a son Sir Gilbert de Haydock Knight B 1366 m Isabel de Houghton
Isabel de Hoghton was the daughter of Sir Richard de Houghton and Joanna Radcliff*
De Hoghton baronets
A baronet (traditional abbreviation Bart, modern abbreviation Bt) or the rare female equivalent, a baronetess (abbreviation Btss), is the holder of a hereditary baronetcy awarded by the British Crown. The practice of awarding baronetcies was originally introduced in England in the 1300s and was used by James I of England in 1611 in order to raise funds.A baronetcy is the only hereditary honour which is not a peerage. A baronet is styled "Sir" like a knight (or "Dame" for a baronetess), but ranks above all knighthoods and damehoods except for the Order of the Garter and, in Scotland, the Order of the Thistle. However, the baronetage, as a class, are considered members of the gentry and rank above the knightage. A baronetcy is not a noble title or knighthood and the recipient does not receive an accolade.
The second Baronet represented Clitheroe and Lancashire in the House of Commons and was a Royalist leader during the Civil War. The third and fourth Baronets both sat as Members of Parliament for Lancashire.
The fifth Baronet was Member of Parliament for Preston and East Looe while the sixth and seventh Baronets represented Preston. The eighth Baronet assumed the additional surname of Bold. The ninth Baronet resumed in 1862 by Royal license the ancient family surname of de Hoghton
The family surname is pronounced "de Horton". The family seat is Hoghton Tower, Hoghton, Preston, Lancashire.
Hoghton Tower is a fortified manor house located about 0.7 miles (1 km) to the east of the village of Hoghton, Lancashire, England, and standing on a hilltop site on the highest point in the area. It takes its name from the de Hoghton family, its historical owners since at least the 12th century.
The present house dates from about 1560–65. It was damaged during the Civil War and subsequently became derelict, but was rebuilt and extended between 1862 and 1901. The house is listed at Grade I, as is the Great Barn in its grounds, which is dated 1692. Also in the grounds are two structures listed at Grade II. The house and garden are open to the public at advertised times, and are administered by a charitable trust.
From the story below our grandmother Lady Joan Haydock was the last of the family line.
Early History of the area and its church
article posted 4 August 2012
Some 700 years later, plans were made to build a church in this vicinity, the approximate centre of Haydock, to serve the growing needs of the district's Anglicans. The church was never built on that site - the reason why will be revealed in this brief history. Haydock is an ancient place.
A stone spindle wheel found here suggests human occupation during the later Stone Age, whilst some thousand years later, the Romans built a road north from Warrington, which passed through the eastern parts of the district.
After the Norman conquest, the Haydock family as lords of the manor, grew in importance and in 1330, Sir Gilbert de Haydock founded a chantry in the Winwick church 'for a fit and honest chaplain who was to pray for the founder by name in every Mass'.
Sir Gilbert and another local knight also rebuilt the nave and tower of Winwick church adding the Haydock coat of arms high on the battlements. He was also granted permission by Edward II to make a park at Haydock, a now famous racecourse.
The Haydock Family
Haydock was at that time still in the diocese of Lichfield, that of Chester not having been created until 1541. This oratory was almost certainly the first place of Christian worship in Haydock, but sadly was destroyed when the manor house was demolished to make way for the East Lancashire Road.
The holy water stoup from this oratory bearing the arms of the Haydock family, is preserved at Lyme Hall in Cheshire. Lyme Hall is the seat of the Legh family who acquired the Haydock estates when the last of the main Haydock line, Joanna, married Sir Peter Legh in 1414.
After this, the Haydock chantry in Winwick church gradually became wrongly known as the Legh chantry. The Legh family continued to own lands at Haydock, and in 1795 they built Haydock lodge in the park made by Sir Gilbert de Haydock in 1344.
|At the church a memorial to the Haydocks|
Sir Piers de Thornton married Lucia Hellesby. They had 9 daughters and Ellen Thornton is our lineage
Born: ABT 1269, probably Ordsall, Lancashire, England
Died: probably BEF 1314 / 1353
Notes: youngest son. His family's attachment to the cause of insurgent barons under the Earl of Lancaster, led John eventually into the service of the Queen's party, where he was rewarded with the favour of Queen Isabella and the warm friendship of the young Prince Edward, to whose personal service he was attached.
Accompanied the Queen and the Prince during their sojourn on the Continent, where they sought the protection of Count William of Hainault, to whose daughter, Phillipa, the boy Prince was contracted by marriage.
In Sep 1325 Isabella landed with her son at Orwell in Suffolk, supported by a force of two thousand men, which the Count of Hainault had placed at her disposal. Edward II was deposed and Prince Edward proclaimed in his stead.
The following spring Sir John Radcliffe was despatched to Hainault, to conduct Phillippa to England for her marriage to Edward III, and to act as King's Proxy in the preliminaries concerning the marriage.
As soon as Edward was firmly established on the throne, having proved his quality by his courage against the Scots in his first expedition of a military nature, the Queen-mother's star began to set.
Queen Isabella was banished for the remainder of her life to the seclusion of Castle Rising. During the next five years Sir John Radcliffe was engaged with the King against the Scots, and in 1337 was sent to Flanders to open negotiations for a treaty between the King and the Flemish trading cities, which were anxious to secure the support of the powerful Edward III against the King of France.
For several years John Radcliffe remained in Flanders, rendering valiant service in counsel and in arms to Jacob van Artevelde and his associates in Ghent, Bruges, and Ypres. So much so, that when he was asked to name his reward he immediately requested that a number of the Flemish craftsmen should be permitted to return to England, there to teach their arts of manufacture to his own people.
The request was readily granted, and he thereupon conducted these men and their families to England, settling them in Lancashire, of which county he had been appointed a Knight of the Shire in 1340. In 1341 John Radcliffe acquired fromJohn de Belshaw the latter's interest in the bailiwick of the serjeancy of Rochdale, 'with all its rights to be held of the chief lord of the fee by accustomed service'. The charter is dated at Whalley 18 Nov 1341, and was witnessed by Richard de Radcliffe, Robert de Radcliffe, John de Clitheroe, and Richard Fyshwycke, Clerk.
In 1346 Edward began the siege of the fortress of Calais, which finally capitulated on 4 Aug 1347. During this campaign Sir John Radcliffe was in constant attendance on the King, with a personal entourage of two knights, twelve esquires, and fourteen archers, and so nobly did he distinguish himself throughout the engagements, that the King granted him the right to use what has been described as the proudest family motto in all the nobility of England, the superscription 'Caen, Crecy, Calais', which has been borne by his lineal descendents from that time to the present day.
After the surrender of Calais Sir John returned to establish his possession of Ordsall manor, against Sir John Blount and the De Leghs, who had assumed the estate after the death of Sir Robert, his cousin. In the intervals of the lengthy litigation that challenged his occupation until 1359, when his rights in Ordsall lands were finally conceded, he busied himself with public duties, particularly in fostering the new industries his proteges from Flanders had introduced into the district.
Sir John married Joan de Holland, the daughter was Sir Robert Holland, the particular favourite of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, and his foremost lieutenant. By her first husband, Sir Hugh Dutton, Joan Holland had a son, Sir Thomas Dutton, who was Seneschal and Receiver of the Castle of Halton in Cheshire, and Sheriff of Cheshire, 1356-59.
One of his descendants was Sir Ralph Dutton, the prominent Royalist, and another was created Baron Sherborne of Sherborne in 1784. After the death of Sir John, Joan married a third husband in Sir Edmund or Thomas Talbot of Bashall.
The period of Sir John's settling at Ordsall was the time of the Black Death, and an interesting sidelight is thrown on his character when, at a time lands were going out of cultivation for want of labourers and many men were realising their properties and fleeing with their capital abroad, Sir John chose that time to forsake military distinction and apply himself to the illustrious but no less worthy duty of a landed proprietor, the stay of simple men and a helper of the distressed, ministering to the needs of his neighbours and assisting the prosperity of the commonwealth.
There was a virulent outbreak of the pestilence in the winter of 1361. It lasted for none months, and in the spring of 1362 Sir John Radcliffe died, a victim perhaps of the sickness that decimated his tenantry. The postmortem inquisition shows him holding Ordsall by knight's service and a rent of six shillings and eightpence, as well as lands in Flixton and elsewhere, including 40 acres in Salford held by knight's service and twenty shillings rent.
The Ordsall estate is therein described as including a hall with 5 chambers, kitchen, chapel, 2 stables, 3 granges, 2 shippons, garner, dovecoat, orchard, a windmill, 80 acres of arable land, and 6 acres of meadow. Eight years before, the manor was described as 'a messuage, 120 acres of land, 12 acres of meadow, and 12 acres of wood'.
The manor of Moston was held by the Radcliffes of Ordsall until 1394, when Sir John of Ordsall, grandson of the original Sir John, gave his lands at Moston, presumably for life, to Henry Strangeways.
After this Sir John's death in 1422, a dispute arose regarding the possession of Moston, and in 1425 a settlement was arrived at whereby his son and heir, another Sir John, was to hold the Moston lands for life, with the remainder to James, the son of Richard Radcliffe of Radcliffe. The estate remained in the possession of the Tower family until the death of their last heir without issue caused them to pass to the FitzWalter Radcliffes under settlement, and in 1543 Henry, Earl of Sussex, sold Moston Hall to John Reddish.
The Ordsall family did, however, retain a portion of the lands in Moston, since Sir William Radcliffe is shown in possession of them at his death in 1568.