First some information about Stillingfleet Durnford's siblings and his ancestors.
2. Thomas Durnford became a Minister. He and Elizabeth had a son named
Stillingfleet Durnford born 1753.
This Stillingfleet Durnford, he was the Schoolmaster at Henton and the Vicar of Felpham
3. George Durnford was an Attorney and became the Lord Mayor of Winchester
At St Thomas' Church - Two other memorials are worthy of note. One is to the memory of George Durnford, a former Mayor of Winchester, who died in 1790, aged 75
His son Charles was a London Solicitor/Barrister.
4. James Durnford from the Marriage records
Durnford, Capt. James, in His Majestie's 71st Regiment, and Miss Amelia, d. to deceast Mr. James Rothes, barrister of law in Dublin, now in College Kirk p. 08 Apr 1759
Volume 5. The Register of Marriages. (Marriage)
Midlothian: Edinburgh - Register of Marriages, 1751-1800
10. Gertrude Durnford married into the Alston Family.
Gertrude Durnford was born circa 1731. She was the daughter of Reverend Thomas Durnford and Susanna Stillingfleet.
She married Colonel Sir Rowland Alston, 6th Bt., son of Sir Rowland Alston, 4th and. and Elizabeth Reynes.
She died on 13 March 1807 at Harley Street, London, England. Her will (dated 10 January 1792) was probated in April 1807.
11. Augustus Durnford
Durnford, Augustus, 172; at
By early August 1757 Rochefort had been decided by Pitt as the first target for his planned series of descents on the coast of France. Command of the expedition was given to Lt-Gen Sir John Mordaunt and "Clerk was appointed Chief Engineer, and the unprecedented step was taken of promoting him at a bound to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel, he being at the time only a Lieutenant (Commission Book, No. 1270, p. 266). This is the sole instance on record of such rapid promotion having been given to any Engineer. Under him were Sub-Engineers Richard Dudgeon and Thomas Walker, and Practitioners Robert G. Bruce, Augustus Durnford, William Roy, and John C. Eiser
Pitt assigned the duty of capturing the fortress to Major General Jeffrey Amherst. Amherst's brigadiers were Charles Lawrence, James Wolfe and Edward Whitmore, and command of naval operations was assigned to Admiral Edward Boscawen. The chief engineer was John Henry Bastide who had been present at the first siege of Louisbourg in 1745 and was chief engineer at Fort St Philip, Minorca, in 1756 when the British had surrendered the fort and the island to the French after a long siege.
After the conquest, the Montmorency Falls became the visual metonymy of the Quebec landscape. "A View of the Fall of Montmorenci and the Attack made by General Wolfe, on the French Intrenchments near Beauport, with the Grenadiers of the Army, July 31, 1759 . . . Drawn on the Spot by Capt. Hervey Smyth. Engraved by Wm. Elliot," in Scenographia Americana. Courtesy of the American Antiquarian Society. www.common-place.org
John Bastide joined the British Army as a boy; a notation in the Army List describes him as a ‘child’. His first commission, dated 23 August 1711, was as an ensign in Hill’s Regiment,. He purchased his promotion to lieutenant in the same regiment on 25 Feb. 1718 Between 1718 and 1720 Bastide was in Scotland, where he created several dated maps, plans and sketches,. On 10 June 1719 Bastide and his regiment were at the Battle of Glenshiel. He drew a detailed plan of the battlefield and the movements of the opposing forces.
It is not certain when Bastide became an engineer but he was certainly one by 1726 as from that date to 1739 he directed "the works and fortifications at Jersey and Guernsey." The first record of Bastide found in the records of the Corps of Engineers (now Royal Engineers) is his appointment as sub-engineer on 14 February 1733.
At that time engineer officers were not part of the British Army as such but, along with the artillery, were part of the Ordnance Corps, under the command of the Master General of the Ordnance. It was, however, quite normal for engineers to also hold rank within an army regiment. Regimental commissions were purchased but appointments within the corps of engineers were by seniority and could not be purchased.
In 1740 Bastide went to America as chief engineer at Annapolis Royal, then the chief town of Nova Scotia, but with responsibilities for defences and fortifications throughout Nova Scotia and New England. In 1742 he visited Canso, Nova Scotia to lay plans for refortification.
He continued in his engineer duties being promoted to Engineer Extraordinary on 3 July 1742, Engineer in Ordinary on 8 March 1744 and Sub-Director sometime later in 1744.
(He seems to also have taught at the Office of Ordinances)
Stillingfleet Durnford's lineage can be traced to
Richard Durnford born 1580 in Devenzies who married Alice Paule, (Powell or Pawle)
Their Son was
Richard Durnford born 1602 - 1690 who married Susanna Brockenhurst (de Brockenhurst)
This Richard appears to be the one who owned the Inn.
They had numerous children including Rev Joseph Durnford 1647 - 1714 who married Mercey Holloway
Rev Joseph Durnford was the Rector of Orchardleigh, Somerset 1674 and Vicar of Whitsbury 1676.
The Church of St Mary sits on an island in the 11.23-hectare artificial Orchardleigh Lake in the grounds of the Orchardleigh Estate within the parish of Lullington, Somerset, England. It was built in the 13th century, and underwent extensive restoration by Sir George Gilbert Scott, for the Rev. W. A. Duckworth, in 1878. It has been designated as a Grade I listed building.
The church includes sculpture from the 14th century and stained glass from the 15th. Around 1800 Thomas Champneys of the Mostyn-Champneys Baronets who ownded the estate had a moat dug around the church. NEar Frome
Their son was Thomas Durnford
On the Stillingfleet side, they can be traced to John de Stillingfleet 1527
His son was Cuthbert Stillingfleet 1557
He had two sons, Thomas 1590 and Samuel 1588 Samuel married Susannah Norris and they had two sons Samuel 1630 and Edward 1635
Edward Stillingfleet, 1635 - 1699 who was a Reverend and a Physican.
Edward Stillingfleet, bishop of Worcester, educated at St Paul's School. He was a Lady Margaret scholar of St. John's College, Cambridge, matriculating 1678, graduating B.A. in 1682, M.A. in 1685, and M.D. in 1692.
He was elected Fellow of the Royal Society in 1688, and Gresham Professor of Physic from 1689 to 1692. Subsequently he practised as a doctor at King's Lynn, married against the bishop's wishes, got into debt, and further offended his father by his Jacobite opinions. When he was ordained, however, the bishop obtained for him the rectory of Newington Butts, which he exchanged in 1698 for the rectory of Wood Norton and Swanton, Norfolk.
The bishop died in 1699, leaving nothing to his son, and accordingly, on the death of the latter in 1708, his widow was in straitened circumstances.
He married firstly Andrea Dobyns and secondly Elizabeth Pedley
With Andrea he had Edward Stillingfleet b 1661 - 1708
With Elizabeth he had James
Edward was the eldest son of Edward Stillingfleet, bishop of Worcester, educated at St Paul's School. He was a Lady Margaret scholar of St. John's College, Cambridge, matriculating 1678, graduating B.A. in 1682, M.A. in 1685, and M.D. in 1692.
He was elected Fellow of the Royal Society in 1688, and Gresham Professor of Physic from 1689 to 1692. Subsequently he practised as a doctor at King's Lynn, married against the bishop's wishes, got into debt, and further offended his father by his Jacobite opinions.
When he was ordained, however, the bishop obtained for him the rectory of Newington Butts, which he exchanged in 1698 for the rectory of Wood Norton and Swanton, Norfolk.
The bishop died in 1699, leaving nothing to his son, and accordingly, on the death of the latter in 1708, his widow was in straitened circumstances. Besides Benjamin Stillingfleet the naturalist, she had three daughters, of whom the eldest, Elizabeth, afterwards married John Locker, and she herself afterwards married a Mr. Dunch.
Benjamin born 1702, was a naturalist.
Benjamin Stillingfleet (1702–1771) was a botanist, translator and author. He is said to be the first Blue Stocking, a phrase from which is derived the term bluestocking now used to describe a learned woman.
Benjamin Stillingfleet was born in Wood Norton, Norfolk in 1702 to Mary Ann and Edward Stillingfleet, a physician. He was one of four children, but the only son. His grandfather, a Bishop, had died in 1699, but left no money to Benjamin's father as he disapproved of his father's opinions and his marriage to his mother. He was educated at Norwich School before obtaining a B.A. at Trinity College, Cambridge in 1723. He failed to become a Fellow as he was thought too much of a gentleman. He served as a tutor to bring in income
In 1759 Stillingfleet published ‘Miscellaneous Tracts relating to Natural History, Husbandry, and Physick; translated from the Latin, with Notes,’ being six essays from Linnæus's ‘Amœnitates Academicæ,’ with a preface of thirty pages and ‘Observations on Grasses’ by the translator. This preface has been styled ‘the first fundamental treatise on the principles of’ Linnæus published in England, so that the issue of this work ‘may be considered as the æra of the establishment of Linnæan botany in England’ (Archdeacon Coxe, Life of Stillingfleet, p. 123). With his friend Price, Stillingfleet made occasional tours, and the journal of one in Wales undertaken in 1759, and printed in Coxe's ‘Life’ (pp. 126–50), to some extent anticipates such ‘tours in search of the picturesque’ as those of William Gilpin.
In 1760 Lord Barrington, then secretary for war, at the instance of his brother-in-law Price, appointed Stillingfleet surveyor of the barracks in the Savoy, and the guardroom at the Tilt-yard, St. James's, and Kensington. This produced an income of about 100l. a year, half of which he gave to the support of an orphan niece and a widowed sister. His poverty prevented his marrying Anne Scudamore of Kentchurch, Herefordshire, whose acquaintance he made in London somewhat late in life
Elizabeth married John Locker in London 1730. Their son was Captain William Locker who married Lucy Parry whose father William was the Commander in Chief in West Indies.
He had a son James 1675 with Elizabeth.
The Very Rev James Stillingfleet was the Dean of Worcester from 1726 until his death in 1746. He was the son of Edward Stillingfleet, Bishop of Worcester from 1689 to 1699. Educated at Wadham College, Oxford, he was Rector of Hartlebury and became a canon of Worcester in 1698.
James was also a minister. He married Dorothy Wylde
So to answer the question, whether Elias Durnford and Stillingfleet Durnford were related, the answer would be yes, and while Elias's ancestors were from the William de Derneford line, Stillingfleet's ancestors would have been from Richard de Derneford line.
Which probably means they are cousins a few times removed!
Some additional information on Durnfords who were Clergy from the current Anglican Database.
- Durnford, Edmund (1832 - 1834)
- Durnford, Edward (1670 - 1671)
- Durnford, Joseph (1668 - 1708)
- Durnford, R. (1789 - 1835)
- Durnford, Richard (1830 - 1831)
- Durnford, Stillingfleet (1785 - 1786)
- Durnford, Thomas (1704 - 1748)
- Durnford, Thomas (1768 - 1768)
- Durnford, Thomas (1744 - 1801)
- Durnford, Thomas (1738 - 1793)
- Durnford, William (1676 - 1676)
Durnford, Edmund (1832 - 1834) CCEd Person ID: 57642Education Events BA : Cambridge / King'sOrdination Events
· priest : 14/12/1834 (Sumner, Charles Richard/Winchester 1827-1869)
· Stipendiary Curate : Mottisfont, East Dean chapel (10/10/1834 )
Person: Durnford, Edward (1670 - 1675) CCEd Person ID: 13960 Durnford , EdwardEducation Events MA : Oxford / Hart HallOrdination Events priest : 10/07/1670 (Blandford, Walter/Oxford 1665-1671)
Appointment Events Vicar : Fifehead Magdalen (01/03/1672 - 11/01/1675 )
Person: Durnford, Joseph (0 - 1708) CCEd Person ID: 92949Education Events BA : Oxford / Exeter show details MA
Ordination Events priest : 29/05/1669 (Ward, Seth/Salisbury 1667-1689)
· Vicar : Whitsbury (30/05/1676 - 24/08/1708 )
· Curate : Rockbourne (24/08/1708 - 24/08/1708 )
Person: Durnford, R. (1789 - 1835) CCEd Person ID: 73086 Durnford , R.
Education Events BA; LLB
· deacon : 07/06/1789 (North, Brownlow/Winchester 1781-1820)
· priest : 19/12/1790 (North, Brownlow/Winchester 1781-1820)
Appointment Events· Curate : Betchworth (08/06/1789 )
· Curate : Chilbolton (07/08/1829 - 07/08/1829 )
· Rector : Wherwell (06/07/1830 - 26/03/1835 )
· Vicar : Goodworth Clatford (14/08/1830 - 14/04/1835 )
Death Events Death (26/03/1835)
Person: Durnford, Richard (1830 - 1831) CCEd Person ID: 28516Education Events MA : Oxford / Magdalen
Ordination Events deacon : 06/06/1830 (Bagot, Richard/Oxford 1829-1845)
priest : 29/05/1831 (Bagot, Richard/Oxford 1829-1845)
Person: Durnford, Stillingfleet (1785 - 1786) CCEd Person ID: 63357Appointment Events Vicar : Felpham (26/07/1785 - 26/07/1785 )
· Schoolmaster : Hinton Ampner Free School (27/04/1786 - 27/04/1786 )
Death Events Death (27/04/1786) (of consumption)
Person: Durnford, Thomas (1704 - 1835)
- CCEd Person ID: 13961 Durnford , Thomas
Ordination Events deacon : 11/06/1704 (Talbot, William/Oxford 1699-1715)
· Curate : Rockbourne (22/09/1706 - 14/09/1736 )
· Curate : Whitsbury (24/08/1708 - 24/08/1708 )
· Vicar : Whitsbury (20/07/1709 - 02/01/1748 )
· Curate : Hale (27/09/1711 - 00/00/1717 )
· Vicar : Harting (12/06/1744 - 26/02/1835 )
· sVicar : Harting (27/10/1744 - 27/10/1744 )
Person: Durnford, Thomas (1768 - 1768) ID: 57643Education Events BA : Oxford / WadhamOrdination Events priest : 28/02/1768 (Green, John/Lincoln 1761-1779)
Person: Durnford, Thomas (1744 - 1801) CCEd Person ID: 63358
Education Events MA
· Curate : South Bersted (27/06/1770 - 07/06/1775 )
· Curate : Felpham (23/05/1775 - 23/05/1775 )
· Rector : Middleton (23/05/1775 - 28/07/1795 )
· Rector : Up Waltham (24/05/1775 - 24/05/1775 )
· Vicar : South Bersted (02/05/1776 - 10/01/1801 )
· Sequestrator : Chichester All Saints (03/06/1783 - 25/06/1800 )
· Vicar : Kirdford (21/07/1785 - 12/02/1801 )
· Curate : Chichester St Bartholomew (22/11/1785 )
Person: Durnford, Thomas (1738 - 1793) CCEd Person ID: 73087
Ordination Events· deacon : 24/09/1738 (Hoadly, Benjamin/Winchester 1734-1761)
· priest : 21/12/1740 (Hoadly, Benjamin/Winchester 1734-1761)
Appointment Events· Rector : Bramdean (18/06/1741 - 08/06/1792 )
· Preacher : Preacher throughout the diocese of Winchester (07/06/1743 )
· Rector : Broughton with Bossington (11/06/1743 - 22/10/1744 )
· Prebendary : Itchen Abbas (01/02/1774 - 08/02/1793 )
Durnford, William (1676-1676) CCEd Person ID: 50730
Name as Recorded
His childhood was passed at Chilbolton, near Andover, Hampshire, where his father acted as locum tenens for the rector. At the age of eight he was sent to the Rev. E. C. James's preparatory school at Epsom, and three years later was taken home by his father to be under his own instruction, with the view of standing for a scholarship at Winchester. Failing election at that school, he stood for a king's scholarship at Eton, where he was successful in 1814.
There he became the pupil of the Rev. Charles Yonge, and a favourite with John Keate , the head-master. At this time he showed great facility for Latin verse, two specimens of which are given in ‘Musæ Etonenses,’ and he was a contributor to the ‘Etonian,’ edited by W. M. Praed and Walter Blunt. While yet at Eton he matriculated on 24 March 1820 at Pembroke College, Oxford, and in July 1822 was elected to a demyship at Magdalen College.
He was one of the founders of the Oxford Union (at first styled the Union Debating Society), and was president in the first year (1823) and again in 1825 and 1826. He graduated B.A. on 27 April 1826 and M.A. on 28 June 1827. He was elected probationer fellow of Magdalen College in 1827, and full fellow in the following year, and was ordained deacon at Oxford in 1830 and priest in 1831.
From 1826 to 1832 he was private tutor to Edward Harbord, eldest son of Lord Suffield, and spent two years in travel on the continent, where he acquired unusual fluency in speaking French, Italian, and German.
from 1870 to 1895.
He was born in Newbury, Berkshire, into an ecclesiastical family (his father was also named Rev. Richard Dunford). He was educated at Eton and Magdalen College, Oxford, and ordained in 1831.
From 1833 he was Rector of Middleton, Lancashire, and then its Rural Dean. In 1867 he became Archdeacon of Manchester and in the following year Canon Residentiary at Manchester Cathedral.
In 1870 he was elevated to the Episcopate of Chichester.
|Durnford House Eaton|
His Tomb inside Chichester Cathedral
While researching, there was a lot of information regarding his life in London before becoming the Bishop, he enjoyed good company, and fine dining.
SIR WALTER DURNFORD
|King College Cambridge a breathtaking town!|
He was elected a Fellow of King's and returned to Eton as a master in 1870.
He retired from Eton in 1899 and went to reside as a fellow at his old college in Cambridge where he spent his retirement on various boards and councils.
He held the Mayoralty of Cambridge in 1905 and was a magistrate fro the Borough, and Principal of the Cambridge Training College for Schoolmasters.
He was elected Vice-Provost of King's in 1909 and Provost in 1918. In 1919 he was made G.B.E. He was an avid gardener and thespian, often appearing on stage.
His retreat, Pit House, in Bembridge on the Isle of Wight was were he indulged his passion for gardening. Sir Walter Durnford was unmarried.
|Cambridge between the colleges|
|Oxford one of the Colleges|