Google+ Badge

Sunday, November 16, 2014

33.a Sir Sidney Meadows - His brother Philip and his marriage to Frances Pierrepont

Sir Sidney Medows became Knight Marshall to Lady Frances Pierrepont.

His brother Philip married Frances Pierrepont in 1734

Francis was the only daughter of William Pierrepont Lord Newark and Rachel Baynton

William Pierrepont Lord Newark

William was the only son of Evelyn Pierrepont, 5th Earl and 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull. He was styled Viscount Newark until 1706, and thereafter Earl of Kingston.

He died of smallpox, aged 20, in July 1713.

In 1711 he married Rachel Baynton (1695-1722), legal daughter of Thomas Baynton of Little Charfield, Wiltshire, but biological daughter and heiress of John Hall of Bradford, Wiltshire, and had:

  • Evelyn (1711-1773), later 2nd Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull
  • Frances, m Philip Medows   April 1713  m  1734    d  1795

Rachel Baynton

Her biological father was John Hall an MP from The Hall, in Bradford on Avon

HALL, John (1632-1711), of Wells, Som. and The Hall, Bradford-on-Avon, Wilts.

Published in The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1660-1690, ed. B.D. Henning, 1983
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education

bap. 17 May 1632, 1st s. of Sir Thomas Hall of Bradford by Catherine, da. of Sir Edward Seymour, 2nd Bt., of Berry Pomeroy, Devon. m. (1) Susan, da. and h. of Francis Cox of Wells, s.p.; (2) lic. 1 Dec. 1670, Elizabeth, da. of Sir Thomas Thynne of Richmond, Surr., s.p.; 1da. illegit. by Rachel, da. of (Sir) George Willoughby of Bishopstone, Wilts., wife of Thomas Bayntun of Little Chalfield, Wilts. suc. fa. 1663.1

Offices Held

Gent. of the privy chamber by June 1660-85.2

Commr. for assessment, Som. 1661-3, 1679-80, Wilts. 1664-80, Som. and Wilts. 1689-90, j.p. Som. 1662-Jan. 1666, Apr. 1666-80, Wilts. 1673-80, 1689-d., capt.-lt. of militia horse, Som. by 1667; sheriff, Wilts. by 1669-70; commr. for recusants, Som. 1675, inquiry into recusancy fines, Wilts. Mar. 1688; dep. lt. Wilts. by 1696-d.3


Hall was the last of a family which took its name from the property in Bradford where they had resided since the middle of the 13th century. They were also landowners in Somerset, and two of them sat for Wells under the Lancastrians; but they were not a regular parliamentary family.

 Hall’s father (under duress, by his own account) acted as a royalist commissioner during the Civil War, and was fined £660. Hall claimed to have expended a considerable sum in the Restoration, and was included in the Somerset list of knights of the Royal Oak with an income of £900 p.a. 

His preference for that county may not have been unconnected with the charms of the local milkmaids, which he described in detail to his friend, the lecherous Duke of Richmond. As sheriff of Wiltshire he wrote from Wells (without having obtained permission to leave the county) on 3 Jan. 1670, complaining of the financial burden imposed by that office, and in particular that Secretary Arlington (Sir Henry Bennet) had ordered him to replace the keeper of the county gaol.

Although Hall was a cousin of the Speaker, Edward Seymour, it was as an opponent of the Government that he entered Parliament in 1673 as Member for Wells, where his brother-in-law William Coward was recorder. A more influential connexion at Westminster was another brother-in-law, Thomas Thynne II. 

 Hall was moderately active in the Cavalier Parliament, in which he was appointed to 31 committees and twice acted as teller. On 20 Jan. 1674 he urged that the House should divide on the impeachment of Arlington, failing to realize in his parliamentary inexperience that this was just what the secretary’s friends wanted at this juncture. He never spoke in the House again, though he was added to the impeachment committee.

 In 1675 he was appointed to the committees for hindering Papists from sitting in Parliament and preventing the growth of Popery. On 6 Nov. he acted with Thynne as teller against the adjournment of the debate on building warships. On the working lists he was committed to the management of Secretary Williamson, who was intimate with the Duke of Richmond’s sister, but Shaftesbury marked him ‘doubly worthy’.

 He served on the committee for the estate bill of (Sir) Edward Hungerford in 1677, as well as that for Thynne’s bill in the following year. On 31 Jan. 1678, he complained to the House that he had been assaulted and wounded by a local attorney and bailiff; one of the assailants was formally reprimanded on his knees by the Speaker and ordered to apologize to Hall at quarter sessions, but nothing further is known of the incident. 

A few days later he accused the lord treasurer’s servants of detaining the writ for the Westbury by-election. He was among those ordered to draw up an address for the removal of counsellors on 7 May, and in the last session he was added to the committee for the translation of Coleman’s letters, and helped to draw up the address for their publication. 

He was probably a member of the Green Ribbon Club.Hall lost his seat at the general election, which he is not known to have contested, but he received the majority of votes from the scot-and-lot payers in the autumn and was seated on petition. Meanwhile he had been dismissed from local office.

 He leaves no further trace on the records of the second or third Exclusion Parliaments. As Thynne’s executor, he tried to find a Whig purchaser for his Hindon burgages, and he was in good standing with the west country dissenters, the Bath Presbyterians hoping in 1683 that he might join with Sir Walter Long against the court candidates.

 Lord Feversham, who occupied Hall’s house during Monmouth’s rebellion, described him to James II as ‘none of the best affected, as your Majesty knows’. In 1688 he was made a commissioner for recusancy fines for Wiltshire, where, according to the King’s electoral agents, he had an ‘undoubted interest’ and was ‘esteemed right’ as court candidate for the county.

 It is unlikely, however, that he stood again. His political retirement may have been due to a curious development in his private life. Hall had settled his nephew, Thomas Bayntun, on his estate at Chalfield, and, although he was at least twice Mrs Bayntun’s age, and had had no children by two wives, he believed that he was the father of her younger daughter, baptized on 14 Apr. 1695 as ‘Rachel Baynton’.
The Hall Bradford on Avon
 The scandal was apparently well hushed up, and Hall continued in local office, signing the Association in 1696 among the Wiltshire deputy lieutenants. 

Mrs Bayntun predeceased him, generously forgiving her husband all the wrongs he had done her, and Hall, who died between February and September 1711, left his estate to their daughter (Rachel), who married the heir of the 1st Duke of Kingston 

The Hall today
No 9 on the Town Map

             Some photos of  a beautiful town Bradford on Avon

 He was succeeded in 1663 by his son John, the last of his line, who died in 1711. John Hall's estates passed to Rachel, daughter of Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Baynton of Little Chalfield. Mystery surrounds this bequest, but the evidence suggests that Rachel was in fact the daughter of John Hall by an adulterous union with Elizabeth Baynton, or at least that Hall himself thought so.

A special Act of Parliament was passed to secure the property to Rachel on her marriage to William Pierrepont, son and heir of Evelyn Pierrepont (d. 1726) later 1st Duke of Kingston.

 Rachel's husband William, died in 1713 and she herself in 1722 at the age of 27. 

They had two children:

Evelyn Pierrepont II     b     1712   d  1773
FrancesPierrepont       b    1713   d  1795  

Her son Evelyn Pierrepont II succeeded his grandfather in 1726 as 2nd Duke of Kingston. 

General Evelyn Pierrepont, 2nd Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull, KG (1711 – 23 September 1773) was an English nobleman and landowner, a member of the House of Lords. He was the only son of William Pierrepont, Earl of Kingston (1692–1713) and his wife, Rachel Bayntun (1695–1722).

His paternal grandparents were Evelyn Pierrepont, 1st Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull and his wife Mary Feilding, a daughter of William Feilding, 3rd Earl of Denbigh, while his maternal grandparents were Elizabeth Willoughby and her husband Thomas Bayntun of Little Chalfield, or else her lover John Hall of Bradford.

He succeeded his grandfather in 1726, inheriting the Thoresby estate.

Pierrepont was the subject of the earliest extant reference to cricket in Nottinghamshire. A letter dated 1751 comments that: "the Duke of Kingston at Thoresby Hall is spending all his time practising cricket because he is to play for Eton v All England in three matches".

On 8 March 1769, Pierrepont married Elizabeth Hervey at St George's, Hanover Square, Westminster, although their marriage was later alleged to have been bigamous. He died in 1773 without issue, and Pierrepont's titles became extinct.

On the death of the Duchess in 1788, the Pierrepont estates passed to a nephew, Charles Medows, who later changed his name to Pierrepont and who in 1806 was created the first Earl Manvers.

During his time the manor, or parts of it, was let. John Fellows was renting the 'home estate' in 1731 at £80.  At Michaelmas 1768 a three-year lease of the offices and upper court belonging to the 'Great House' was granted to Scudamore Perry, and in 1770 Richard Whatly was leasing the 'home estate' for £65. 4s.

The 2nd Duke of Kingston died in 1773, after a bigamous marriage with the notorious Countess of Bristol. The duke bequeathed all his estates to his 'wife' for her life and although his relations succeeded in bringing the countess to trial before the House of Lords for bigamy they were unable to prevent her enjoying the bequest until her death in 1788. 

The duke had left no children and by his will his estates then reverted to Charles Medows, son of his sister Frances, who had married Philip Medows. 

Charles took the name of Pierrepont and in 1796 was created Viscount Newark. He became Earl Manvers in 1806. In 1802 the Hall, with about 9 acres of land, was sold to Thomas Divett who allowed it to fall into decay. 

In 1848 Divett's trustees sold it to Stephen Moulton, founder of the Bradford rubber firm, in whose family it has since remained. Earl Manvers has subsequently sold much of his land in the parish of Bradford.

More about Frances' brother in following posts

Philip Medows and Frances Pierrepont were married in 1734

They had 5 sons and 1 daughter:

Evelyn Philip Medows  born  1736  died  1826   m   Margaret Cramond and
                                                                    m 1811 Harriot Maria Norie

Charles Medows            born 1737   died 1816    m 1774   Anne Orton

William Medows           born  1738  d  1813        m   1770  Lady Frances Augusta Hammerton of                                                     Hammerton in County Tipperary Ireland  Born 1747 D April 1827

Edward Medows            born c 1740                   d   Nov 1813         mar. 1785 Mary Brodie
                                                  Probate of will living at Lower Brook St Grosvenor Sq*

Capt Edward Medows RN (d. 1813),  .Promoted..Royal Lancashire Militia 2nd Battalion  7 Dec 1811

Thomas Medows          born 1749  d   1780   Probate 1776  May have suffered epilepsy Did not marry

Frances Medows           born 22 Mar 1740   d 1770 m  2 Sept 1768  Lieut-Col Alexander Campbell

The lived at Richmond Park
Philip was the Warden of Richmond Park and they lived on the property.

Beyond the grounds of the old palace, Richmond remained mostly agricultural land until the 18th century. White Lodge, in the middle of what is now Richmond Park, was built as a hunting lodge for George II and during this period the number of large houses in their own grounds – such as Asgill House and Pembroke Lodge – increased significantly.

 These were followed by the building of further important houses including Downe House, Wick House and The Wick on Richmond Hill, as this area became an increasingly fashionable place to live. 
Richmond Bridge was completed in 1777 to replace a ferry crossing that connected Richmond town centre on the east bank with its neighbouring district of East Twickenham. Today, this, together with the well-preserved Georgian terraces that surround Richmond Green and line Richmond Hill to its crest, now has listed building status.

As Richmond continued to prosper and expand during the 19th century, much luxurious housing was built on the streets that line Richmond Hill, as well as shops in the town centre to serve the increasing population.

In 1740 they were living in London at the time of the birth of their daughter.  Possibly staying with Sir Sidney Medows, at 51 Charles Street, Grosvenor Square London.

No comments:

Post a Comment