Google+ Badge

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

3.a.4.1 Joanna de Pierre m Sir Hugh de Dutton s Sir Hugh de Dutton m Joan de Holand! s Thomas de Dutton

4.1  Joann de Pierre and Sir Hugh De Dutton had a son another Hugh de Dutton

Sir Hugh married no less than ---  Joan de Holand who was the sister of Robert de Holland
                                                               who married Maud La Zouche another family in our tree.


Joan was the daughter of Robert de Holland and Elizabeth de Salmesbury.

She had an interesting life as she married 4 times.  Sir John Radcliffe, Sir Edmund Talbot and our Sir Hugh.

The Radcliffes are also among our ancestors.


Hugh and Joan had three children:

  1. Thomas     1314     m   Ellen de Thornton *      Our lineage
  2. William     1316      Parson of Thornton
  3. Geoffrey   1318      m  Agnes Massey
  4. Robert      1320
* Ellen was the daughter of Sir Peter (Piers) Thornton who just happens to be the son of 
                                                                              Katherin de Pierre!

The branches are getting twisted!

The history of the Thornton line goes back to Peter Le Clerc Lord of Thornton (23g.g) who married Agnes

The Le Clec line is included in the information about Lord Malpas!

Peter and Agnes had a son Sir Ranulph le Roter Lord of Thornton, another Knight who
                                       married Amica de Kingsley

                                                      Amica was the daughte of Sir Richard de Kingsley and Joan de Sylvester

Ranulph and Agnes  had a son Lord Randolf de Thornton who had
                                      a son Peter de Thornton who married Matilda le Clerc

                                        Matilda was the daughter of Richers le Clerc 1224

 Ranulph and Matilda had a son Randolph (Peter) Thornton who married our Katherin de Pierre!!!

Wonder if our family lived here?

Thornton Abbey was a medieval abbey located close to the small North Lincolnshire village of Thornton Curtis.

It was founded as a priory in 1139 by William le Gros, the Earl of Yorkshire, and raised to the status of Abbey in 1148. It was a house for Augustinian or black canons, who lived a communal life under the Rule of St Augustine but also undertook pastoral duties outside of the Abbey. Officers within the Abbey besides the abbot and prior included a cellarer, bursar, chamberlain, sacrist, kitchener and an infirmer.

The abbey was closed in 1539 by Henry VIII as part of the dissolution. Thornton was a wealthy and prestigious house valued at the dissolution at the considerable sum of £591 0s 2 ¾ d.

Architecture

The gatehouse of Thornton Abbey from the outside
Gatehouse of Thornton Abbey from the inside
The founding abbey building from the 12th century was Romanesque in style, but nothing of it remains above ground.
The later abbey from the 13th/14th centuries was built in Early Gothic style. Little remains of the building, except for three walls of the chapter house and part of the cloister, though the groundplan of the abbey is traced out.

The main interest lies in the gatehouse which is amongst the earliest largescale uses of brick in England. It stands two storeys high and is structurally intact. There are few windows in the building, and the internal dimensions are cramped due to the thickness of the walls.


Thornton Abbey and Gatehouse
The outside of the building is adorned with three almost lifesize statues directly above the gate. A bridge over the moat adjoins the gatehouse and is fortified with walls and guardrobes.












No comments:

Post a Comment